I Have Nipples Rings, Can I Get Implants and Keep Them? Should I Lose Weight Before or After Surgery? (photo)

I am 5'10" and currently weigh 220lbs. I have wanted to get implants since I was probably 13 years old :-/ I've finally decided that 2013 is the year to do it. I have a few questions: 1-I have nipple rings (bars now-not the rings in pic). Will they need to be removed and healed before getting implants? I'd prefer to keep them, but I would rather have implants! 2-I am in the process of losing weight (hope to lose at least 60lbs). Should I lose the weight before surgery?

Nipple rings and weight loss and implants

+2

If the nipple rings are metal it might be a good idea to remove them for surgery because the conduction from  cautery can burn the skin.  If you plan on losing weight, I would wait to have surgery.

Nipple rings and breast surgery

+2

You should be able to keep your nipple rinngs with a breast augmentation.  Some facilities may require that you remove them during the surgery if that is possible because an electric cautery is used and they don't want the metal in the ring to conduct current and burn your nipple.  The surgery itself should not interfere with your ability to keep your nipple rings, though. 

Your breasts will change with weight gain/loss, pregnancy, etc.  It is hard to predict how much they will change.  You know your body better than anyone so you are probably the best judge about how weight loss will affect your breasts.  That said, your best surgical result will usually occur when your weight is stable.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Weight loss and breast augmentation

+2

Getting closer to your ideal body weight is a great goal for the new year!  I would recommend definitely losing the weight and maintaining a stable weight before any breast surgery.  Your breasts may go through significant changes with weight loss that can be addressed at the time of surgery.  Your breast volume and the quality of your skin may change.  Good luck with your weight loss!

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Should I Lose Weight Before or After Surgery?

+2

You will have a better result by losing the weight before surgery.A couple of things may occur to the breasts that might alter the surgery. You will lose some breast volume, and that will impact on the choice of implant size. You may find your self with some sagging breast skin, and that would be addressed if needed.

As to the nipple rings, usually they would be removed just before surgery, and then replaced at the end of the procedure. 

Thanks for your question. Good luck with the weight loss. When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Breast Augmentation and Concerns with Weight and Piercings?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture. 

It will be in your best interests to lose weight prior to undergoing any type of breast surgery. Doing so will increase the safety of the operation and decrease the chances that additional surgery will be necessary afterwards.

I do not think that it will be necessary for you to have the nipple piercings removed/healed before the procedure. Of course, the piercings will be removed temporarily during the procedure.

When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work helping patients in your situation and communicate your goals clearly.

Best wishes for a successful weight loss program  and successful breast surgery in the future.

Weight Loss Prior to Surgery

+1

When the weight loss is significant as in your case, the weight loss should occur prior to the surgery.  The breasts will shrink with the weight loss and this may affect your implant choice.  The nipple piercings can be removed prior to surgery.

Nipple rings and breast augmentation

+1

The nipple rings do not need to be permanently removed to have breast augmentation, but should be replaced with a plastic spacer during the procedure. If you are planning on losing more than 20lbs, I would recommend losing that weight before you have the procedure. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Nipple rings

+1

You are a great candidate for breast augmentation. We remove the rings prior to surgery and replace them for you.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Nipple rings and implants

+1

Pierced nipples and nipple rings should not be problem to stop you from getting breast implants.  You will probably be asked to remove them during the procedure itself but you should be able to put them back on right after the surgery.   

As for weight loss.  It is always recommended to be at stable weight before having a procedure in order to optimize results.  However, you have to be realistic.  Some people have been trying to lose weight for years unsuccessfully.  Lose as much as you can but, If you are plateaued at your weight, sometimes a procedure is what you need as a jumpstart.  Once you are happy with your appearance and have had that boost of confidence then you may end up losing more weight.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Stable Weight Important!

+1

You do not have to have you piercings removed permanently.  They can simply be removed before surgery and replaced after surgery.  I would recommend weight loss and stability prior to augmentation.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS