Breast Implant Pain?

Breast implants, saline, under muscle. Surgery done 20 years ago. Never any problems. my breasts are normal, soft, size the same! visually no problems. Last couple of weeks, when I exercise, I will get a quick electric shock type pain, starts inner side by cleavage and shoots inwards.. please help?

Pain in breast 20 years after saline breast augmentation

+2

Twenty years may be the time when scarring around the implant becomes symptomatic with pain and tightness, called capsular contracture. It may be time to address a revision to the breast implants. I would recommend you see a Board-certified plastic surgeon to assess the implants and determine studies needed and a treatment plan. Good luck!

Implant pain after 20 years

+2

I also recommend an examination by qualified plastic surgeon.

Your pain sounds like nerve pain, as it is sharp and radiates.  This could be due to an early capsular contracture which is pulling on a nerve.  I suspect this as the etiology, as it occurs after you provoke it with stretching and other exercises.

There are other causes of pain as well, so get it checked out.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Breast Implant Pain

+2

I would recommend an exam by a plastic surgeon or your general practice doctor.  Not everything that hurts in that area is related the breast implants.  The exercise may have created chest wall pain due to costochondritis, which may spontaneously resolve.  It could be any number of things.

Pain 20 years after augmentation

+1
I concur that all pain in the chest area in women with breast implants is not necessarily related to the implants.  It sounds like you have had a great 20 years with your implants and hopefully will have another 20 ahead.  Since this pain has only recently become an issue and is directly related to your workouts, I would recommend trying to avoid the exercises that aggregate it for a couple weeks.  If your stomach tolerates Advil (ibuprofen), this may help significantly, especially if this is musculoskeletal pain.  If it does not resolve with that I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon who does a lot of augmentations.  Good luck. 

Mary Gingrass, MD

Breast pain 20 years after a breast augmentation

+1

The most common problem causing late pain after a breast augmentation is a capsular contracture.  You need to have your breast examined by a plastic surgeon to determine the etiology of your problem.  Try to wear a supportive bra until you can be seen by a plastic surgeon.  

Breast implant and pain

+1

At twenty years after implants, it is unusual to have pain. It can be from many different things and should be evaluated in person. The most common cause is a tight breast capsule.

Breast Implant Pain

+1

"Breast" pain is a common symptom and occurs in patients with implants, and in patients without implants. 

The causes may be from the breast, the muscles, the ribs, the lining of the chest cavity, the lungs, the heart. When the implants are firm (capsular contracture) that is usually the cause. However in the majority of cases, the implants have nothing to do with the cause of the pain.

Seeing your surgeon makes sense. However, once the implant is excluded as a source, your primary doc will probably be better at diagnosing the problem.

Thanks, best wishes.