How Long Before Memory Gel Implants Feel Natural?

It's been three weeks since my memory gel implant. Is it normal for my breasts to still feel firm and tighten when cold? It feels really hard when I am cold. Is tha normal ? When will they soften to a more natural feel ? I've been massaging them to make them feel softer so they would settle in better.

It usually take 3-4 months before optimal results are seen following a breast augmentation

+2

Thanks for your question. I advise my patients that it takes 3-4 months before optimal results are seen following a breast augmentation. This is true for both natural feel and appearance. I hope this helps!

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

At least 3 months before breast implants feel soft and natural

+2

Three weeks is very early in your recovery following breast augmentation. Massage or displacement exercises are very important to achieve a soft natural feeling breast after breast augmentation, so keep up the massage.

It is very normal for the implants to feel tight and firm at 3 weeks.

Over the next 3 months your tissues will expand and relax to accomodate your new breast size. Your massaging helps the tissues relax and most importantly helps prevent the tightening of scar tissue, called capsular contracture, from occurring around the implants.

Plan on continuing a daily massage for the rest of your life. This helps keep the implants soft, but more importantly, it is a a form of "self breast examination", which all women should do for early detection of breast lumps that should be examined.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Silicone gel implants

+1

Silicone gel implants can stay soft forever if there is not significant capsule formation that becomes tight. Initially after surgery they may feel tight until the skin around the implants soften.

Breast implants should feel natural right away.

+1

Hi.

In New York City, we have done thousands of breast implants over more than 20 years.  In most women the breasts feel natural right away, other than a little swelling.  I don't know why yours feel so firm.  ?implants too large?

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast implants may take 6-9 months to stabilize

+1

I would even tell my patients that it may take 6-9 months for the breast implants to stabilize. I find that patients who have nursed settle faster than women who have never nursed

Give it 6-8 weeks

+1

At 6-8 weeks the tissues usually have stretched and relaxed much more than where you are now.  Do the massages your doctor showed you and give the healing a bit more time.  You will get better soon!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS