I am so anxious for my implant to drop, should I be do massages?

I recently had silicone unders and at my 1 week follow up my doctor did not say anything about the massages. He said to move them around as I felt like it and I don't go back for another 3 weeks. I am so anxious for them to drop, should I be doing massages to aid in that & to possibly prevent capsular contracture, which I know is controversial?

Massaging after breast augmentation?

+1

Great question.  There is no right answer. Every surgeon has their own protocol. I recommend you give your surgeons office a call and ask what they recommend. I personally do not have my patients start massage for at least 3 weeks. Sometimes the breasts can be hypersensitive after breast augmentation and massage can really help that go away. Your final result should not be compromised either way. Be careful to not overdo for the first 4 - 6 weeks! Be patient - things usually settle with time.

Jennifer Harrington MD

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Is breast massage required after breast augmentation surgery

+1

Breast massage after breast augmentation surgery may or may not be recommended by your surgeon. Each surgeon has their own protocol and some believe in post operative implant massage and some do not. You can expect that your implants will settle into a more natural position in the first 3-6 months after surgery, even without massage having been performed. I would encourage you to follow your surgeons recommendations closely in order to achieve the best outcome for you.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Massaging After BAM

+1

Every surgeon is different.  I have a colleague who does not recommend massaging at all as he sees no benefit from it and another colleague who recommends massaging after 3 weeks.  I would follow your surgeons instructions and ask him/her about massaging when you go in for your 3 week follow up.  Give yourself some time to heal and try to be patient, they will eventually drop, just be cautious not to overdue your upper body activity. ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Massage?

+1

The incision placement for the breast augmentation would guide my recommendation here, but you should follow the advice of your surgeon.  With an IMF incision, I do not recommend massage as early due to the tension placed on the suture line.  You are right that there is little evidence to suggest that massage prevents capsular contracture.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast implant massage

+1

I have my patients massage in many incidences, however there are numerous surgeons that do not recommend it.  Follow your doctor's instructions.

Implant Massage

+1

I favor the massage for patients having augmentation especially under the muscle.  Because of the curve of the ribs and the natural pressure of the muscle on the implant medially the implant position may move too far lateral.  I feel that if the patient helps to relax the muscle with massage that there is less chance to find the implant going too far to the side.  This has worked well for me for 25 years and I continue to instruct patients this way.  Thank you for your question.

Thomas P. McHugh, MD

Massage after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Like many things in the field of plastic surgery,  breast massage  after breast augmentation is somewhat controversial. Generally speaking, best to follow your own plastic surgeon's advise.

I do disagree with the previous respondent who feels that breast implants do not settle with time;  breast implants  do tend to “settle” and the overlying tissues do tend to soften and redrape over the course of the first few months.  In other words, what you see now, is “not what you get" long-term.  Of course, much depends on exactly how the breast implant “pocket” is dissected, so your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to accurate prediction…

Given your concerns, best to put a phone call in to your plastic surgeon's office;  it is very likely that he/she will not argue with you if you wish to gently massage the breasts.  You may find the attached link helpful to you in this regard.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.

To massage or not to massage after breast implants?

+1

Some surgeons are advocates of implant massage, some are not. Regardless, it is still way too early to be concerned with the final appearance of your breasts. Your breast tissue and skin are still in the process of stretching and settling. This process can take months. After which your implants will "drop." Be patient. Your breasts will look good in time. Thank you for your question. Best wishes!

Gregory Park, MD

Massage will not help breast implants to drop.

+1

Hi.

We don't recommend massage for breast augmentation patients.  The tissues heal best at rest.  If the implants are not in the right place (too high), they will not usually "drop".  Patients either get used to them or they have a revision in a few months.  I know this is not what you wanted to hear!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)