More Extensive Lift on One Breast Causing Uneven Healing?

I had breast lift and implants 3 weeks ago. My right breast was bigger before surgery, but surgeon said he would rectify that with the lift and put 350 smooth silicone implants in both sides. I am very pleased with the result, but have upper pole firmness only on the right breast, and it still appears bigger in general. The scarring and bruising on right breast is also more significant.

Could it be that because the lift procedure was more extensive on the right breast that it has more swelling or firmness, slowing down the "dropping" of the implant in contrast to the left breast (which has almost no swelling or firmness and bruising)?

Breast lift and bruising

+1

Most likely this is normal. If there was more work done on the affected side and it had more bruising than it may take a bit longer for it to settle down.

This is normal at this point

+1

At this early stage, what you are describing is not of concern. If you had no difference in healing going on and the two breasts looked very different, that would be a potential problem. Wait 3 months, do the massages as prescribed by your doctor and let everything heal. You will probably be fine.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Asymmetic swelling is quite common after a breast augmenation / lift procedure

+1

Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to tell you why, if it was know prior to surgery that one breast was significanly larger than the other, he used the same sized implant on each side. Balance and symmetry is the curse of plastic surgery. We attempt to make everything as symmetric as possible. Close is reasonable, absolute symmetry is usually by luck and chance. At 3 weeks post op you are still swollen and it is still way to early to to make any determination about balance and symmetry. One side will always do better than the other, especiallly in an augment / lift situation. Relax, give it time, week by week there will be significant changes in shape and contour. Once you reach the 3 month period it is time for an initial evaluation of the result. It may take more time for the final result but at this time obvious asymmetries can be addressed.

It may be possible but, consider this.

+1

First your wounds are way early out from surgery to judge the quality of what the scars will be. The final scar really should not be judged until about a year out, and sometimes longer. They really change that much over time.

Next, the high implant. Although the procedure is a breast augmentation (and lift), the procedure would more accurately be called breast augmentationS, because each breast is a separate operation, and as such heal differently. You had significant asymmetry, but what I have said goes even in cases where minimal asymmetry exists. By the way, I agree with your surgeon's approach in equalizing breast size/shape/symmetry--at least that would be how I do it.

I will make an assumption here. I will assume that the implant is under the muscle, and that you are healing uneventfully. Each breast heals at its own rate. One day one implant may be higher and another day, the reverse. It can drive you crazy if you look too closely. In my experience, the implants don't really start to drop in earnest until between the 3rd and 4th week, and sometimes a little longer.

My advice to you is to discuss this on your next visit. I don't hear anything that is worrisome.

Good luck.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Your right breast is probably still somewhat bigger.

+1

To rachaelann8,

Hi! Unless some breast tissue was removed from the right breast, and since the same size implants were used on both breasts, It makes sense that the right breast will be fuller and larger. But a little asymmetry is perfectly normal.

After 3 weeks, you probably don't have swelling, unless there is a fluid collection (seroma) on the right. If there is any question about this, a seroma can be ruled out with a sonogram.

Sounds like you will do fine.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)