Breast Implant Leakage While Pregnant

Hello, I had a breast augmentation done 5 years ago. I got pregnant a year later, and breasts where fine. I'm going on my 2nd pregnancy after 4.5 years later, now 8 months pregnant and I noticed a deflate on my left breast.

I'm concerned on what I need to do since I'm so far along in my pregnancy, and that I do want to breast feed. I've done some research via internet, but would like some assistance or expert advice. Even advice from those who have experienced this while pregnant.

Deflated saline implant while pregnant

+1

You don't want to expose yourself and your baby to any anesthesia so you could just leave it alone or have the other deflated with a needle and wait until after delivery to deal with exchanging them.

Deflated implant

+1

If you have a deflated implant at 8 months pregnant,  you probably can wait until after delivery to have it removed or exchanged.

Breast Implant Leakage While Pregnant

+1

I assume this is a saline implant and if performed through a crease incision, a simple remove and replace could be performed under local. Otherwise you may want to wait.

Breast implant deflation or leaking during pregnancy

+1

Whether you have saline or silicone implant, the leak is not dangerous to your body or health.

An implant leak is not an emergency and the implant exchange can wait. My recommendation is to complete your pregnancy and wait at least 6 months before considering surgery.

Good Luck.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant deflation during pregnancy

+1

It does sound as if your implant has deflated. I agree with waiting until you are at least 6 months out from breastfeeding prior to any surgery to exchange the implants (I usually do both sides even if one is deflated if it's more than a few years out from the initial surgery).

Good luck with your pregnancy and delivery -- hope it's fast and easy! Best, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Leaking breast implants do not need immediate treatment.

+1

Hi.

1) I assume you have saline breast implants. Ignore your deflated left implant for now. Have a good end of pregnancy and a healthy baby, and breast feed as long as you want. An empty implant is not a health hazard in any way.

2) Six months after you are done breast feeding, you can have a secondary left breast augmentation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Deflating / Deflated Breast Implant during Pregnancy

+1

Unless you have physical symptoms nothing needs to be done until you are ready. I would consult with a Plastic surgeon but wait 4-6 months after you are done breast feeding for the breasts to assume their normal size and ?new position on your chest wall. For the BEST results, at that time, the deflated implant can be replaced and breasts possibly symmetrically lifted.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea