Breast Implant Has a Knuckle and Fold That is Visible, How Can this be Fixed?

My initial Breast Implant surgery was done less than 3 years ago. My surgeon has indicated that along with rippling from one of my implants, there is a knuckle and a fold that is visible. I would like to have this fixed...Can I re-use the same implant and have this fixed?

Revise the augmentation, perhaps with different implant, perhaps in different anatomical pocket

+1

if you have saline implants, exchanging for silicone gels might well be helpful. if the implants are on top of the muscle, a new pocket might help, especilally if it were under the muscle this time.

if you are extremely thin and have very little of your own breast tissue,  it might not be possible to completely eliminate the problem, but some improvement  could probably be obtained.

Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Visible Breast Implant

+1

This can be fixed. You almost certainly have saline implants above the muscle. 

Solution

1. Remove the saline implants. 
  2. Replace with gel implants
  3. Or place your saline implants under the muscle.

Best solution but most expensive

• Remove the implants, Place gel implants under the muscle

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Breast implant fold

+1

Rippling with saline implants is not uncommon. If it is a relatively sudden occurrence it may be due to deflation, loss of weight which has resulted in relatively less soft tissue coverage over the implant allowing the ripples to seem more visible or possible capsular contracture which has caused a change in shape of the implant.

The treatment depends on the cause.  While it may be possible to stay with the present implant changing from saline to silicone is the most reliable way to improve the problem since rippling is less common with silicone than saline.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to guide you as to the cause and the treatment.  Don't be afraid to get a second opinion if you are not happy with the recommendation of your surgeon.

Thank you for your question and good luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant problem

+1

If your implant has a "knucke" in it, it sounds like it is folded over in some way.  Is this due to a deflation?  I could not say without an exam and studies.  it is best to change the implants and use new ones.

Breast implant replacement

+1

Your description sounds like the implants are above the muscle. This might be rectified by moving the implant under the muscle. You could reuse the same implants but most surgeons will be reluctant to do so especially if they are saline implants where emptying and refilling of the implants with saline might be required. I can understand that you do not want to incur any costs that you could otherwise avoid but if the implants are just not the right type for you body you will need to get new ones.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Implant knuckle and rippling

+1

You did not mention the type of implant that you have, but saline are more prone to rippling than silicone, and textured implants tend to ripple and fold more than smooth implants.  Also, the thickness of the overlying tissue, the placement of the implant, and the possibility of the implant pocket being too tight can all contribute to your problem.  You will need to be evaluated in person to determine the best option to correct your problem.

Donald Griffin, MD

Knuckles and folds

+1

Good news - this can be fixed.

There are three main surgical strategies:  

1)  get more padding over the implant:  this might include switching the implant from subglandular to subpectoral; using Strattice; fat grafting, etc.

2)  switch to an implant that has less of a tendency to wrinkle - eg. silicone works better than saline

3)  release any capsule problems that are causing the implant to fold on itself.

Determining which of these methods would be best for you would require an in-person consultation.

All the best!

Thomas Fiala, MD