Breast Implant Insertion Options?

Can breast implants be inserted through an simultaneous TT incision using the submuscular method?

There is often a great difference between things that "can" be done, and whether or not they "should" be done...

+2

Hi there-

Is it possible to place your implants through your tummy tuck? Absolutely it is possible.

Are the chances of you being unhappy with your breasts higher if this is done? In my opinion, there is no question that the answer to this is also- absolutely.

In order to do this, the inframammary fold must be disrupted and repaired. This will always weaken it, and over time increases the risk that your breast implants migrate into your abdomen...

Just because a surgeon offers something, or agrees to do it, does not mean that it would be in your best interests if your goal is maximizing your safety and chances of being happy over the long term.

Breast implant incision options

+2

Extensive experience over many years suggests that for best short term and long term results as well as the possibility of needing a replacement or revision later on, the best choice of incision for breast augmentation is the inframammary crease. This incision only has to be 2 cm for saline-filled implants and about 3 1/2 cm for a silicone gel-filled implant. I do not feel it is worth avoiding such a small scar by using a trans-umbilical or trans-abdominal flap approach. If you need a revision or replacement for your augmentation, the incision will need to be in the inframammary crease and the best results are clearly from using that approach to start with. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Yes it is possible to place implants through a tummy tuck incision, but is it the right option for you?

+2

It is certainly possible to place implants through a tummy tuck incision, however I believe that it makes for a technically challenging operation to place the implants in a properly dissected pocket. I agree that you should see a few surgeons who have performed this procedure to see if you are a good candidate. A good candidate would be someone who has no ptosis or very mild breast ptosis. And most importantly an inframammary fold that does not need to be adjusted. The biggest problem with this procedure is that the inframammary fold can be altered to much through this approach leading to "bottoming out".

Robert Najera, MD

Yes, it is possible to place breast implants in the submuscular position throught the tummy tuck incision at the time of tummy t

+2

Yes, it is possible to place breast implants in the submuscular position throught the tummy tuck incision at the time of tummy tuck.  It can be a struggle for the surgeon to get the implants well positioned but it is possible and it has bee described.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Breast implant options

+2

Yes, if you do not need a lift, a submuscular approach for breast implants through the tummy tuck incision can be employed. I have used this quite often for women with no droop but also needed a tummy tuck.  Good luck.

Breast implantation with tummy tuck surgery

+2

I know there are quite a few surgeons that are using this technique. So the answer to your question is yes. I personally do not for several reasons. I think that using such a technique is overemphasizing the importance of the scar and minimizing the importance of creating an aesthetic and symmetric pocket for the implant that will maintain its shape for a long period of time. When done properly, the scars in either the inframammary fold or along the lower arc of the areola are almost imperceptible. I would not complicate the breast augmentation surgery just to avoid what is almost always a very minimal scar. I think that the exposure to the implant pocket is likely very limited with an abdominoplasty approach. And I would also worry about disrupting the inframammary fold. If disrupted, the lower portion of the breast can lose its natural shape and can be difficult to reconstruct. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Implants placed through a tummy tuck incison

+2

Good question. While it is possibly to place the implant from the tummy tuck approach, I wouldn't really recommend it. I think that it might increase the chance of disrupting the attachments beneath breast and increase the chance of bottoming out, or implant malposition. If it were a good thing, everyone would be doing it.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Breast Implant Insertion Options with Tummy Tuck

+1
Yes not only is it possible to place breast implants through the TT incision but I prefer this technique. Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation Combination makes sense and is safe. Contrary to some of the answers I have found that the recovery time is not delayed and is the same as the tummy tuck procedure by itself. That is because you are healing simultaneously and not sequentially - both heal at the same time. The procedure only takes me about a half hour to 45 minutes longer than the tummy tuck alone. Best of all, I usually put in the breast implants through the tummy tuck incision so that there are no scars on the breasts.
I have performed many of these combination procedures over the past few decades and think it is a great idea without significant increased complications.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Tummy tuck & breast implants throught the same incision?

+1

I assume TT means tummy tuck.  This procedure has been described in the literature since it can eliminate the skin incision on the breast for insertion.  One difficulty can be creation of symmetric breast pockets since the amount of tissue being dissected to get to the proper position is greatly increased to a point that can require endoscopic assistance for implant placement.  If there is a surgeon in your area that regularly performs this procedure and recommends it for you then it is possible.  However, in my practice it is unusual (although not impossible) for a person to require a tummy tuck but not need a breast lift when undergoing a breast enhancement procedure.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation through a tummy tuck approach

+1

has been described in our literature but as already emphasized by prior posters, is extremely difficult to achieve really good results.  So if your doctor is saying he or she can do this, you MUST understand what his/her revision policy is and that it is likely you will have a scar on your breast to correct it.

That being said, most of those far away approaches to augmentation (TUBA, armpit)  does prevent the initial scar but in most situations, when you need your next procedure on your breasts (and you will), you will often get a scar on your breast to provide easier access to the implant and to allow correction of whatever problems you are experiencing.

You should discuss these concerns with your doctor to see if he/she can keep your breast scarless throughout your life.

Curtis Wong, MD