Breast Implant Infection? Related Symptoms?

I had a breast aug 2 weeks ago and was unable to take the antibiotics prescribed due to an allergic reaction. Two days later, I had a throat infection for which I was given an antibiotic. (Not Strep) At one week post op, I noticed sensitive pink skin under the nipple. That weekend I experienced chills/sweats, severe headache, vomiting, low grade fever, and kidney pain. My symptoms have subsided but I still experience chills and the pink area seems larger. Are these related? Sign of improvement?

Pain after surgery and infection?

I suggest you contacting your plastic surgeon first to be evaluated.  They may be unrelated.  The kidney pain suggests a UTI, but this needs to be investigated.

Breast Implant Question

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing discomfort. Please follow up with your board-certified plastic surgeon. They will need to assess you and determine next steps. Best of luck to you. 

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Make sure that you see your plastic surgeon immediately to rule out an implant infection.  Even with a UTI you may develop a breast implantinfection.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Implant infection

The first critical step is to call your plastic surgeon.  The next one will be to see your plastic surgeon.  Fever and chills may or may not be associated with an implant infection.  A physical exam is critical to make this diagnosis.  If you have an infection, antibiotics are a necessity.  There are a multitude of antibiotics, and you may be prescribed one that does not give you an allergy.  Good luck

Jason R. Hess, MD

Breast implant infection

Kidney pain along with fever, chills, nausea, vomiting more suggestive of urinary tract infection.  Pink skin in the area of your incision on the breast, especially after two weeks can be normal.  If it is getting more pink, swollen, red, painful, tender, and/or draining, this is NOT normal.  If your breast implant is infected, you will know about it sooner rather than later.  The development of an infection in the implant space is not subtle.  See your surgeon until the question is answered and the problem resolved.

Steve Laverson, MD

Is this a Breast Implant Infection?

Regarding: "Breast Implant Infection? Related Symptoms?
I had a breast aug 2 weeks ago and was unable to take the antibiotics prescribed due to an allergic reaction. Two days later, I had a throat infection for which I was given an antibiotic. (Not Strep) At one week post op, I noticed sensitive pink skin under the nipple. That weekend I experienced chills/sweats, severe headache, vomiting, low grade fever, and kidney pain. My symptoms have subsided but I still experience chills and the pink area seems larger. Are these related? Sign of improvement
?"

Infection may complicate any operation. In the case of a Breast Augmentation surgical incision may become infected or the deeply underlying breast implant may become infected. Infections can happen around the time of the surgery or less commonly months or years after the operation. Preventing an infection whenever possible is always preferable to trying to treat one, especially when implants are present.

To limit the likelihood of infection, surgeons administer antibiotics just before the surgery begins and for a few days just after the operation. )I am not quite sure why the antibiotic you were allergic to was not replaced by your surgeon with another to which you were not allergic).

You give a clinical history suggestive of 3 POSSIBLE infections:
- wound ("one week post op, I noticed sensitive pink skin under the nipple " )
- Throat
- Urinary tract ("chills/sweats, severe headache, vomiting, low grade fever, and kidney pain " )

You MAY have a surgical incision infection OR the throat or urinary tract infection may have spread to your breast.

If I were your surgeon, I would be deeply disappointed that you did not contact me immediately with your concerns and allow me to examine the apparently expanding pink and tender area near your nipple. It CAN represent a breast infection which MAY involve the underlying implant and it requires aggressive antibiotic treatment.

I suggest you be seen by him ASAP.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Assume an Infection

Because you have an implant with symptoms of infection you must consider this an implant infection until proven otherwise. You need to have an evaluation by your plastic surgeon. This may require antibiotics through your vein to save the implant. Dr. ES

Possible Infection after Breast Augmentatio

These signs and symptoms could  be  suggestive  of infection.  Infection in the presence of a prosthetic device, not infrequently results in the removal of the device and treatment of the infection.  You should definitely followup with your plastic surgeon without delay for further evaluation.   Dr. Delia

Stephen Delia, MD

Fever and chills after Breast

This could be a sign of infection but why second guess? Go schedule and appointment with your surgeon who will perform and examination and possibly diagnositic tests.

Possible Implant Infection Should be Seen by Surgeon AS

If there is a chance that you implant is infected, you should be seen by your surgeon without delay.  It is not possible for me to state if you have an infected implant from your description.  If you do, it must be removed.  If you have a more superficial infection, it is possible that you could be treated before the infection involves your implant and it is conceivable that it could be saved.

John Whitt, MD (retired)