Will Breast Implant "Drop" or Will I Need a Revision?

I had saline implants two and a half months ago and clearly they are asymmetrical. I like the way the right one looks but left is depressing. Surgeon insists the droopier one actually is behind "fold" and still may drop, making it higher like the other. To me it seems like it is the opposite.

+1

It is difficult to understand what "behind the fold" means. I would wait at least 6 months but my guess is that you may require a dual plane dissection with release of the left muscle allowing the left implant to descend into the suglandular space inferiorly.

Impalnt asymmetry

+1

My guess is that the left breast was sagging more than the right  pre-op, but it may make a comeback, or you may need a revision and/or lift depending upon the exam.

There is still an outside chance that your left implant will descend lower correcting the present asymmetry.

+1

Given that your breasts were symmetrical to start then your present asymmetry is a result of a malposition of the left breast implant. Your surgeon is correct in claiming that the solution lies in the left implant dropping lower from its present position. The question is how is this to happen at two and one half months from the time of surgery. There is still an outside chance that the left implant will spontaneously descend into the correct position. It is also possible, though unlikely, that the use of a elastic band across the top of the left breast will encourage the implant to drop.

Ask your surgeon about such a device. However, at this relatively late date in the recovery period I would not expect anything but a surgical revision to the left implant pocket to make the needed difference. If conservative measures fail to reposition the implant in the next month a formal operation to lower the implant will be your only recourse.

David A. Ross, MD

Breast implants do not really drop.

+1

Hi.

I am afraid this is a myth.  Breast implants have to be put in the right place during surgery.  You will almost certainly need a revision of the breast.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Implants Dropping Over Time

+1

It does appear that your implants are asymmetric as you describe.  The right implant has settled behind the breast and the nipple (as desired), however, it seems that the left implant is slightly higher with excess upper breast fullness and the nipple is positioned on the lower third of the implant (as compared to the other side). 

Implants will settle at different rates and it is possible that the left is just slow to progress.  A breast strap can be useful to help "encourage" implants to descend more quickly.  I would consult with your doctor to see if he/she agrees with these options.  As for the right breast being "droopier" and eventually settling higher than the left - doesn't quite make sense and something that may need an additional discussion.

Best of luck.

Vincent Marin, MD

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Breast asymmetry after implant

+1

Seems like you do have quite a bit of asymmetry but it's not possible to really judge without a physical exam as well as seeing your preoperative pictures.  You probably had considerable breast asymmetry preoperatively.  I suggest giving it a few more months and see what your surgeon says.  If you're still not happy with what he/she has to say--then seek a second opinion.  Good luck!

Elan B. Singer, MD