Is There A Chance My Breast Implant Could Still Drop Even After 9 Months? They're Still Not Even.

Surgery 1-27-11, Silicone Gel Submuscular 450cc.Singular for 2.25 mos for firm right breast - breast are equally soft now. Vit E @1000mg taken daily w/singular 10mg. Will my breast drop down, or is this a pocket issue?Massage several times day & implant moves, almost as well as the left.Note the side photos show the upper pole fullness in the right breast & the "side" fullness of the left.Is the right needing to drop, or the left needing to be lifted? Recovery time of a revision? Thanks!

Breast Implant "dropping" into the pocket

+5

I ask patient to give it at least 12 months for the settling of the implants into the pocket.  I have seen changes up to that time frame with very aggressive massage.  I would tell you to continue with aggressive massage of the right breast to assist it in dropping into the pocket.  IF after 12 months it does not settle any further, you can discuss revisionary surgery with your surgeon - but I agree with the other surgeon's who state that you need to understand that no surgery can guarantee perfection and there may always be some symmetry.  As for your questions re: should the right implant be lowered or the left implant raised? IF you decide to proceed with revisionary surgery, it's up to you as to what "look" you like better - the fullness on top or the implant settled down.

Each procedure has it's own potential risks / complications so make sure your surgeon has the experience and you have clear communication with him/her.

Breast Augmentation and Malposition

+2

Hello San Antonio 1220,

You had a breast augmentation complicated by capsular contracture, the most common complication of breast augmentation surgery, with a 20% risk in the general population within the first two years after surgery.  Although vitamin E and Singulair have shown no clinically significant effect on the treatment of capsular contracture, there are occasional reports of it softening the feel of the implant.  However, the pocket is sealed with the implant in a higher than desired position, and that wont change.  Massage and bands are equally ineffective at improving implant position.

To acheive a better, more symmetrical result, you will need to undergo a revision surgery where some or all of the capsule will need to be removed from around the right implant.  This surgery is well tolerated, and recovery is usually shorter than after initial surgery.  Revision surgery is more complicated and requires extensive experience on the part of the surgeon. I would recommend that you consult highly regarded breast surgery specialists and get second opinions. These doctors are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and are usually also members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry after breast augmentation-Real Self Question

+2

First of all, you should stop taking the Singulair.  This medication is not proven to be of benefit for capsular contractures and this medication can have various side effects.  Secondly, 9 months after surgery is a time period in which the capsule is very developed and strong.  Massage does not usually alter the results at this time.  You should talk to your plastic surgeon.  If you are disatisfied with your results then maybe another surgery may be needed.

Elizabeth S. Harris, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry after breast implants

+2

The issue is not one of your implant dropping. Often the cause of asymmetry after breast augmentation is asymmetry before the procedure. Your photo shows a difference in your breast size right to left, and a difference in the breast envelope right to left. Your result is very good, not perfect due to symmetry issues, but the best is leave things alone for now.

peterejohnsonmd

Some asymmetry of breasts to be expected.

+2

It is normal to have some degree of asymmetry to one's breasts even after breast augmentation.  However, if one side appears to be significantly higher than the other, I recommend continue massaging of the higher side to try to get the muscle and skin to relax more on the lower part of your breast, allowing the implant to come down.  I don't think that a reoperation is necessary at this point.

James Tang, MD

Can an implant drop 9 months after surgery?

+2

The majority of the healing and stretching of tissue in yor breast following breast augmentation tends to stabilize earlier than 9 months.  If you are not seeing any more progress in terms of the right breast implant descending down then it will not likely change to an appreciable extent  further down the road.  Correction may involve opening the pocket further inferiorily (near your breast fold) and possibly a larger implant on the right since at least from the photos your right breast may be a little smaller.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Implant Drop

+2

Although  you have some very minor differences between your breasts, it appears you have a very nice result. Were any of these differences apparent on your pre operative photos?  I would doubt that your breasts will change any further but I also think it is premature to consider a revision at this early date and would wait at least a year. You may have had some early firmness of your right breast but this seems to have responded nicely.

Richard Linderman, MD

Will implant drop after 9 months.

+1

You do have minor asymmetry. It sounds like your surgeon is currently doing everything possible to get that breast to drop without surgery. I would usually give my patients up to a year before I decide to re-operate.

Robert Heck, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry After Augmentation

+1

I tend to agree with Dr. Johnson and also feel that your result is quite good.  I too suspect that you probably had a good bit of pre-op asymmetry but you failed to include your pre-op photos.  Many women who have never had nor never intend to have surgery have more asymmetry than you.  Your nipples are certainly at the same level.  Sometimes perfection is the enemy of good.

John Whitt, MD

It is easier to lower an implant than raise one

+1

Overall I think you look great. But I know too that this is at times the worst thing a Plastic Surgeon can say to a patient, as that is NOT what they want to hear!! But seriously, I do see a bit more fullness in the upper pole on the right and more lateral fullness on the left. You indicate that they are both soft and move so I would stop the medications and if things really bother you (bugs you once a day, fix it, once a month, ignore it!) then it is easier to lower an implant than raise one.  

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon