Volume Difference in Breast Implant Exchange

I currently have saline implants overfilled to approx 510ccs. I'm having them exchanged out for the memory gel (9 years later).

I want to go a little bit bigger in size so what approx range am I looking at in silicone? I'm getting the round moderate plus profile. I went from a 34B to 34D (which doesn't seem like a "FULL" D) prior to the saline. What percentage more in volume do I need when changing from saline to silicone?

This is a bit hard to predict

+2

The most sound advice I can give you is to go to the best breast plastic surgeons in Houston and seek their opinions as to what will get you close to the result you want. Since you already have implants, you can't place new ones in clothing and get a sense of whether the size is approximating your desire. The only thing you can to is use the base diameter of your chest wall which defines the widest implant you can properly handle and then look at the different profiles of the implants to see which is going to give you enough volume but also provide the "look" you want. The moderate profile will be too small from where you are now, but it produces the most natural look. The moderate plus profile gives some "permaclevage" as one of my patients termed the look. The high profile is going to give you much more upper pole fullness that the other two and is clearly not natural but creates a look that some patients want. Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Breast Implant exchange

+1

For you to see a noticeable difference in your implants upon exchange you are looking at about 150 cc bump in volume. But you should really check the dimensions of the implant you have now to be properly sized.

You will need 100-150 cc more

+1

In general, you will need 100-150 cc more to get to the next level and feel a difference in size. This will get you around a 650cc gel implant. This is a huge implant with a potential with future issues. Good luck!

Web reference: http://newportplastic.com/breast-2/

Texas-2nd largest state in the nation

+1

Kel,

You're living up to your state's reputation. You will need around 600cc in silicone gel to match the size of your current 510cc implants. So, to increase your size you're looking at 650cc or above. This size implant is very heavy and, as mentioned by one of my colleagues, does not age well. Good luck!

You probably need 600 cc implants.

+1

To KelB,

Hi. Silicone implants look a little smaller than saline implants of the same size. And you want to be a little bigger than you are now. So my guess is 600 cc's.

But this is just a guess. i actually decide on the final implant size DURING the operation. We sit the patient up (still asleep, of course) and place a temporary SIZER in the breast. Then we try different volumes of saline in the sizer until we find the best size. Then the sizer is discarded, and we use the correct silicone implant. This takes all the guess work out of it (as long as your surgeon really understands what you want and thinks that it is reasonable).

I should also tell you that 600 cc's is very big and I hardly ever recommend them. Remember, breasts with huge implants do not age well.

Don't look at implant volume only

+1

Dimensions play a big role in determine the look of your breast. Volume is important, but very deceiving. You can tell that by looking at the various dimensions and styles of implants that have the same approximate volumes. Your surgeon should measure the dimensions of your breasts.

However, if he doesn't have the style and dimensions of your original saline implants, it might be hard to accurately judge what silicone implant to use. You should do the due diligence in dimensional analysis, but still leave some room for uncertainty and trial and error at surgery. Typically, a surgeon will have sizers available in surgery to test how an implant might look before committing to the final style and size.

Going up a size usually takes 100cc or more

+1

KelB,

The MemoryGel implants are sized according to cc's and should correspond to to volume stated in the saline implant in cc's as well. I do not know the style of the saline implant you are wearing, and the projection of the implant, or the degree of projection produced by capsular contracture can greatly change the perceived size of the implant.

You will most likely have to consider a 500cc+ gel implant, and also consider that it takes about 100cc difference in an implant to produce an end result that appears larger than your current augmentation. You probably will not notice a change with 50cc, and may well want more than the 100cc increase.

By Chicago standards a 600cc gel implant is quite large, so work carefully with your surgeon and review prictures of what you would like your result to be. Your surgeon should have the burden of selecting the best implant for you with your pictures and goals in mind. If the result you look at each day is what you had hoped for, what is on the inside makes little difference.

peterejohnsonmd

I recommend adding 100 cc during implant replacement

+1

KelB,

The most important advice is for you to consult a board certified plastic surgeon who is very experienced at breast augmentation.

Your current 510 cc Saline breast implants have stretched your breast tissues.

My anecdotal experience with situations such as yours is that the same size Silicone Gel breast implant will look smaller because of the tissue expansion that has been caused by the 510 implants that you have.

I usually recommend at least a 100 cc size larger when replacing Saline implants with Silicone Gel.

Of course you should follow the advice of the board certified surgeon that you chose.