Can my Breast Implant Break During Sex

i had my breast implants almost 3 weeks ago and already had sex I'm nervous that maybe one of them popped I have saline the left one seems more swollwen then the right one

Breaking implant during sex

+2

I'm sure you didn't break the implant. They are tough. The swelling you got probably has to do with traumatizing the tissues around the implant just 3 weeks after your surgery. Apply ice, take some Ibuprofen nad be a bit more gentle for a few more weeks!

Implant rupture?

+2

Jackie...A few things- the implants themselves are made to be quite durable- they're designed to be OK during sports, car accidents and, of course, sex.  They're designed not simply to look good but to be 'used'.  It would be unlikely that an implant would break at this point from normal forces...although I guess anything's possible.  Part of the normal routine of inserting saline implants involves putting some saline in the implant to help remove any air and also to test the integrity of the implant...so I assume that your surgeon did this to confirm that the implant he inserted was OK.  In all fairness, the one thing that isn't really tested this way is the integrity of the valve through which the implant is filled...this is also the most common source of saline implant leaking.

At this point swelling is normal and sex this early (assuming your breasts were part of that) could certainly have caused an increase in swelling- a change that may not be even on both sides.  Going just by the information you posted I'd say that it's more a swelling issue than anything.  If you're concerned about leaking/rupture then you should have your doctor take a peek.  I hope this helps.  Good Luck!  Scott Newman, MD FACS

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Rupturing breast implants during sex

+2

It is very difficult to physically rupture a breast implant during sex but still possible.  This is more likely to happen after the implants have been in for several months or years than for it to  happen a few weeks after surgery.  After surgery the swelling around the implant sand the normal pain that you feel during the recovery wll protect the implants and warn you if too much pressure is being applied.  The danger is with very rough manipulation that can occur when the breast have healed and are less sensative.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Sex and Breast Implants

+2

It is highly unlikely that you have ruptured your saline breast implants during sexual activity. If one breast is more swollen and bruised, it is possible that some bleeding may have occurred. Do you have more pain in this breast? If one of your implants is ruptured then it will quickly deflate within a week. The best course is to see your plastic surgeon and let him examine you to find out for sure.

Richard Linderman, MD

It takes a lot to rupture implants

+1
I don't think you should be too concerned about having ruptured your implant. Implant shells are very durable and it would take much more than having sex to cause a rupture. In addition, you would notice a rapid decrease in size if your breast implant ruptured within a day or so. However, this doesn't sound like it happened to you. The swelling may just be that the tissues were traumatized a bit, since you're still pretty early in your recovery. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast Implant Rupture

+1

The incidence of breast implant rupture or leakage is very low. The two major implant companies in the United States have lifetime warranties that cover implant rupture from ANY CAUSE.  That means you will obtain a free implant from the company to replace the old broken one, also the companies offer financial assistance to offset the fees for the operating room and supplies.  I also provide a warranty for my breast implant patients if a rupture occurs on an implant I placed, we do not charge a professional fee to replace the implant.

If a silicone implant breaks it can be difficult to diagnose.  If a saline implant breaks, it is very easy to diagnose.  The implant will go completely flat within 24 hours.  It is always one sided, I have never seen both implants deflate at the same time, so it becomes very obvious.  You will have one augmented breast and one sad and flat breast. It is not an emergency to have the broken implant replaced, let your PS know and then plan an exchange procedure.

Breast implants are very durable and will withstand quite a bit of trauma without breaking. I do not restrict any activity, long term, on any of my implant patients, you are free to exercise, sky dive, scuba dive, kick box, etc.  You did not get the implants to restrict your activity, you got them to enjoy your life!  Immediately after surgery you should restrict your activity until all of the swelling and soreness has abated.  This does vary from person to person, contact your PS for your activity restrictions.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Rupture During Sex

+1

It sounds as if you may have had sex a bit early following your augmentation, but I doubt that this caused an implant rupture.  I have been performing augmentations for a long time and have never encountered this.  In fact implant rupture is rarely due to any sort of trauma but rather is usually caused by a defect which develops in the seam of the implant occuring over time.

John Whitt, MD

Ruptured Saline Implant?

+1

If you rupture your saline implant, it is fairly easy to tell.  That side would go completely flat and look like before you had your augmentation.  More likely you simply caused more swelling on that side.  Continue to wear your surgical bra and follow up with your Plastic Surgeon.  Good luck!

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Implants will not break during sex

+1

You may bruise the breast tissue, cause tenderness and perhaps some swelling, however you will not break a breast implant during sex.

peterejohnsonmd

Unlikely to rupture implants during sex

+1

Although conceivable, it is highly unlikely to cause rupture of your breast implants during sex, assuming no sharp objects were used around your breasts.  A rupture of saline implants would cause an immediate deflation that is easily detected.  Rough treatment of your breasts during sex could cause one side to swell, perhaps due to some bleeding.  If that is the case, you need to consult your plastic surgeon and have him/her examine you.  I usually recommend all normal activities at three weeks after breast augmentation, which includes normal sex.

James Tang, MD