Breast Implant Bottoming out but I Lack Faith in Original Surgeon for Revision

Less than 3 months PO i am bottoming out. The surgeon spent about 5 min with me for my consult and pre-op. I explained my ribs are crooked and it was a concern, he didn't seem worried. Immediately before surgery, he says 'your ribs are a little asymmetrical'. Now one is sliding to the side, and both are dropping downward. They are only offering a 40% discount on revision surgery fee only. I feel like i wasn't cared for & am concerned letting him re-do, but money is an issue. any advice please?

Breast implant revision?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

I think you are experiencing breast implant malposition (bottoming out) and will benefit from revisionary surgery. Bottoming out involves inferior migration of the implants. This causes the nipple areola complex to appear too high on the breasts. Also, the distance from the areola to the inframammary fold is too great. This is corrected by “raising” the inframammary fold using internal sutures. This is done after careful measurements are made from the areola to the “new” inframammary fold.

I would suggest clear, unemotional and nonaccusatory communication with your surgeon. Of utmost importance in  achieving the best results possible are, not the costs, but the experience and skill level of  the surgeon who performs your revision breast surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastrevision.htm

Implant revisions.

+1

Bottom line is if you lack faith in your surgeon, you should have your revision with another practice.  Be aware, the new practice may charge you for a consultation and make sure you bring all of your records with you.  You really should wait a bit longer and try talking to the surgeon again about it.   Let him/her know how you feel. 

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Revision of breasts

+1

I think that you are correct in thinking that your implants are too low. If you do not have faith in your doctor, I would seek another surgeon and  "bite the bullet" to pay for it to be fixed.

You will need revision

+1

You have bottoming of the implants. The distance of the nipple to the base of the breast is much longer than the distance from nipple to the top of the implants. You inframmary crease is disrupted and needs to be repaired.

I am sorry that you had bad experience and the revision should be covered by your surgeon except the anesthesia and surgery center fee.Please go back to your surgeon and ask him to evaluate your result. If he thinks that you have no problem,he can not help you.Get second opinion.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast Revision After Augmentation

+1

Without seeing your preoperative photos, it is hard for me to really know what is going on.  From your picture, it does not appear that your implants are bottoming out -your incisions are pretty much at your inframammary fold, which is where they are supposed to be.  Perhaps the pictures do not show it well.   The problem here is that you do not have an open dialogue with your surgeon, and this started at the very beginning.  I always caution patients that if they spend only a few minutes with the person who is doing their surgery, and do not get to address all their questions, concerns, and desires/goals, then find another surgeon.  A more detailed surgeon probbaly would have seen and addressed your chest wall abnormalities to begin with, and you could have made an informed choice on the implants, approach, etc.  At this point, I would probably seek a second opinion - find a surgeon who does alot of revisions and will take the time to sit and listen to what you have to say.  I hope this helps.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.