Breast Implant Using Same Areola Incision for Breast Lift?

I am assuming, I will need a Breast Lift + Breast Implant. If the incision used for lift is thru' the areola incision, is it possible this same incision to perform the implant as well or will I need Inframammary Crease incision in addition to areola incision for the implants? Thank you.

Breast implants can be placed through periareolar incision

+2

Dear modechic,

lIf you're having a simultaneous breast lift, breast implants can almost certainly be placed through the same incision, even if it's just an incision around the areola.

Best of luck.

Using the areolar (nipple) incision for breast lift and implant placement in augmenatation mastopexy

+2

Absolutely, this is one of the benefits of utilizing the periareolar approach. The criticism for using this to place the implant is the theoretical crossing of the mammary ducts and the potential for implant colonization/contamination. Some physicians bleieve this may result in an increased incidence of capsular contracture and will use two separate incisions: one for implant placement via the crease, and the other to achieve the lift.

Breats implants can go through periareolar incision

+2

If your surgeon can fit the implant through the areolar incision, that would be preferred. Sometimes a large silicone implant may be difficult to fit through a small periareolar incision, however.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

A breast lift with implants can be accomplished through the same incisions

+2

Part of the premise of plastic surgery is to make an improvement in the appearance of the body with as few scars as possible. Therefore, if an incision for a breast lift is large enough (which it usually is) to accommodate an implant, this should be chosen.

If a silicone implant is chosen rather than a saline, the site of implantation needs to be larger and may necessitate an additional incision. This will depend on the type of lift needed.

David Rankin, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift requires incision around the nipple areolar complex

+2

Depending on how much ptosis, drooping, of the nipple areolar complex, your breast lift will require at least an incision all the way around the nipple areolar complex.

With more drooping, it will require an incision down the front of the breast and even possibly under the breast if there is a large amount of drooping.

A breast implant can be easily placed though any of these incisions and it will be determined pre-operatively by your surgeon. Some time what looks like ptosis, drooping, is just post weight loss or post-partum atrophy of the breast with collapse of the breast projection, and this can be corrected by an implant alone.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Areolar incision for implant placement

+2

Only under unusual conditions (like the patient asking me to do it) will I use both an IM crease incision and an areolar incision. If you need a periareolar, lift the implants can routinely be placed through this as long as the opening is big enough to fit the implant. Remember that gels come pre-filled and some large ones need a fairly generous opening to fit them in without damaging them.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast lift and implants

+1

If the surgeon is using  a Benelli or circumareola approach, it is certainly the way to place the implants as well.

Breast Implant with breast lift incision

+1

You should see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to see if you need an augmentation with a lift or either one alone.

If your surgeon tells you that you require both, then the implant can easily be placed through the incision for breast lift.

Be sure to see several surgeons and choose the one you are most comfortable with.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and lift incisions

+1

Yes, you can use the incision around the areola for an implant provided that your areola is large enough and that the implant being placed is not too large for it. Sometimes the volume of the implant alone provides enough lift, but in your case only your surgeon could determine this. Good luck.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

An areolar incision can be used for breast augmentation with lift

+1

An incision around the entire, or a portion of the areola, can be used to place an implant and perform a lift. Depending on the extent of the lift, you may require an incision that encompasses the entire areola and extends down the middle of the lower portion of the breast (lollipop incision).

I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation. He/she can decided which approach and procedure would be best for you condition.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon