One Breast is Higher Still? (photo)

Hello, I am seven weeks post op from my breast augmentation. I have not had surgery previously but I did my research. My left breast has dropped quite nicely however my right breast is high. They look very uneven and this makes me nervous.

Asymmetry Concerns 7 Weeks after Breast Augmentation

+1

Final implant descent may not have occurred by 7 weeks and at least 3 months should be given before considering anything else.  In addition, preoperative pictures may show preexisting asymmetry, which may be difficult to fully correct.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Higher

+1

There is some asymmetry in the photographs but the proper photos need to be taken with your arms at your sides.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Breasts Asymmetry After Surgery

+1

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your photos.

Without the details of your surgery and the pre-op photos, it is difficult to determine the exact cause of your breasts' asymmetry.

Nonetheless, it seems that more dropping of the right breast would help and at this point it is crucial to be a little patient and let nature take its course. Once recovery is completed, then a more reasonable evaluation could be drawn.

Later on when the implants achieve their optimal dropping level and if the asymmetry remains prominent then the size of the implants may be the issue and you may need to undergo a correction depending on the type of implants you have.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.

I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

One Breast is Higher Still?

+1

Something does not appear right. Seek in person second opinions. My guess is the implant size on your left is not large enough and needs lowering. 

Breast asymmetry 7 weeks after breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  There are several source of asymmetry after breast augmentation.  Your photos are a snapshot in time.  Evaluating your pre-operative photos and the change in the appearance of your breasts during the healing process would surely accurately explain the asymmetry.  From the photo alone it appears that one breast is higher and possible smaller than the other.  Position of the implant can be impacted by the tightness of the lower pole or by the pocket creation.  A tight lower pole will relax and allow the implant volume to settle where it was intended to be while a pocket that is not created properly will not improve with time.  Your plastic surgeon will be able to tell you which of these situations is the case.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Asymmetry

+1

I agree with the previous comments. Asymmetry in the post-operative period is not uncommon. I would wait 3-4 months before being concerned.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Uneven After Breast Augmentation

+1

Good Morning and thank you for the photos.  It is not uncommon for breasts to appear asymmetric during the healing process.  It is difficult to assess your breasts natural position with your arms extended (as this causes the implants to shift).  Photographs are best taken with the arms down at your side (difficult to do by oneself).

Important considerations in your breast asymmetry are:

1.Was the asymmetry present pre-op?  If so, did you and your plastic surgeon discuss this and address any possible treatment options to correct this?

2.  Is the right breast more firm?  If so, you may be developing a capsular contracture which will usually push the implant upwards.

3. If your breasts were symmetric pre-op, it is possible that the implant pocket created during surgery is slightly different and may require a minor revision.

4.  This is not unusual in the early phase of healing and may correct itself without any intervention.

The best approach is to discuss these concerns with your plastic surgeon so that he/she can address the issue and help you achieve an ideal result.

Best Wishes!!!!!!!

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

One Breast is Higher

+1

It is not uncommon to see asymmetry early postop and most of the implants wind up qutie even. It is a little difficult to judge from these photos since your arms are up. This will cause some asymmetric distortion because the pectoral muscles will compress the implants, and these muscles are not symmetric--usually the "handed" side is larger. So it wouldn't surprise me if the modest asymmetry is less (or more) noticeable with the arms at your sides which is the standard photo position for breasts. Without pre-op photos I cannot tell if the breast were even before surgery. No one is fully symmetric. 

It can take three or more months for the implants to settle, and often it occurs at different rates. 

Continue to follow with your surgeon. Patience.