Is It Safe to Breastfeed After Having Thermage?

I am 6 months post pregnancy and still breast feeding. I am having some liposuction done soon and wanted to get Thermage Laser skin tightening on my abdomen. Is it safe for me to continue breastfeeding 6 days after the laser treatment?

Thermage while breastfeeding

+1

Thermage is non-surgical skin tightening that uses energy to tighten the skin.  It is not a laser which uses light to produce effects on a desired target.  As far as I know there are no studies on Thermage in breastfeeding women, however, studies on this technology shows that the energy penetrates only into the skin.  It does not affect surrounding deep structures, and should have no affect on breast tissue or breastfeeding.  I would be more concerned about the medications you are receiving during and after liposuction.  These can be transferred in breast milk.  Be sure to ask your physician how long the medications last in your system.  You may need to stop breastfeeding for several days.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Thermage treatment and breastfeeding

+1

For the purposes of clarification, Thermage is an energy-based treatment but is not an actual laser. Thermage uses radiofrequency energy as opposed to lasers that use light energy to produce their beneficial effects. That said, as far as we know there should be no threat to the quality of milk or the mother's health when performing Thermage on someone who is breastfeeding.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon