Can I Breast Feed After Getting Breast Implants?

Breastfeeding after implants

+2

This is an important question, and generally speaking the answer is yes, assuming you could breast feed before the implants. Women who could breastfeed before implants can typically breastfeed after, but there is no guarantee that this will not change. Not all women are able to breastfeed (even without any prior breast surgery). Also, even if a woman is able to produce breast milk, whether or not she can produce enough milk for that to be the only source of feeding is not certain. If you have not tried breastfeeding before, you will not know if there is any change in your ability to breastfeed since there is nothing to compare it to. If you have the implants placed through an inframammary incision, the milk ducts are not cut across. If you have them placed through a peri-areolar incision (around the nipple areola) then the gland is cut along that area.

Breast feeding after augmentation

+2

The milk ducts are not interfered with by augmentation surgery via the infra-mammary approach which I favor so, theoretically, the surgery would not pose an impediment to breast feeding.  Of course, the ability to breast feed varies depending on a multiplicity of factors and is not something that can be predetermined.  That said, I find that patients for whom the size and shape of the breasts are of great importance are reluctant to breast feed as this might result in prolonged stretching of the breast tissue and require revisional surgery.

+2

This is a common and important question. When putting breast implants in from the armpit or the bottom fold of the breast, no breast tissue or ducts are damaged so there should be no interference with breast feeding. The areolar incision has the potential for damaging some of the milk ducts so in theory it could interfere with milk flow. But that's theory. In actuality, I have never had a woman who had previously breast fed, then had an augment with any incision and then could not breast feed. So I think it highly unlikely that if you have the ability to breast feed that it would be damaged by the breast augment procedure.

Breast Feeding after Implants

+1
Most women can breast feed after breast implants but please remember that not all women are able to successfully breast feed.

Breast feeding after augmentation

+1

This is a very common question.  As my colleagues have suggested, you should be able to breast feed after having breast implants.  Please visit with a ASPS member plastic surgeon in your area to learn more about your options.

Breast implant surgery

+1

It would be highly unusual for the surgery to place a breast implant to cut through the milk ducts so the short answer is no problem breast feeding with breast implant surgery. Of course there are a number of other factors which could cause inability to breast feed. Good luck and see a board certified plastic surgeon for consultation.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Breast feeding after implants

+1

In general, most patients should be able to breast feed after having breast implants provided that they were able to before surgery.  Sometimes there is some tissue cut during the augmentation depending upon the approach, and this may impact the total milk production volume.

Breast Feeding after Breast Augmentation?

+1

The vast majority of patients who undergo breast augmentation surgery will be able to breast-feed. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing exactly what the percentage of loss of ability to breast-feed is  given that some women are not able to breast-feed ( with or without breast implant  surgery).

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm