Breast Fat Transplant?

I am an petite A cup and I am interested in getting a fat transfer to become a B cup before making the big step to get real implants. I heard about a 4000 GBP all inclusive surgery in Praque, fat is being grafted by simultaneous water-assisted liposuction (WAL) from 2 areas. Is fat transfer surgery into the breast safe, especially with WAL?

Fat transfer to the breast.

+2

Fat transfer to the breast is a well-established technique following removal of cancer from the breast, although it is relatively new in the field of cosmetic breast augmentation.  It is something that is increasing and I think that it is a useful technique, in selected cases.

I would advise against going abroad for this surgery for several reasons.  The qualifications and training of the doctors may not be the same as a UK trained plastic surgeon.  You must be sure that you will have access to adequate aftercare, preferably by the surgeon, in the days, weeks and months following your surgery as you may well have questions or concerns that need to be addressed.  Finally, it is not advisable to travel to have surgery as there is a risk of DVT (blood clots in your legs) following travel (economy class syndrome) and there is also a risk of DVT following surgery, so you are adding to your risks of problems.

Stay in London, there are plenty of fully trained plastic surgeons pracitsing there.  Look at the BAAPS and BAPRAS website and preferably see a surgeon who specialises in the breast.  Good luck.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enlargement with Fat Transfer

+1

In general, fat transfer to the breast is safe.  It is, of course, plastic surgery and, as such, there is the risk of problems (complications) with it.  Significant complications are relatively rare but the longevity of the effects of the procedure remain somewhat controversial.  You may need several sessions in order to achieve the size you want; are you prepared for that as part of your traveling to Prague?

I can't comment specifically on water-assisted liposuction being used for fat transfer.  The more typical procedure (eg superwet or tumescent) has enough question associated with it in terms of longevity without adding the additional component of water-assisted...but, again, I don't have evidence of that either way.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Fat transfer to the breast as a first step

+1

Fat transfer to the breast is unpredictable, the volumes small compared to breast implants, and the risk of limps, cysts and calcification is quite high. We would not consider fat transfers as a first step before considering breast implants. Once done for better or worse the fat is permanent. A breast implant can go in and come out easily as well.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast Augmentation, Breast Enlargement, Breast Implants

+1

This is an area of plastic surgery that is becoming very popular.  There is a lot of research in the area of fat transfer.  A few issues are important in your specific case:  Do you have enough fat on your body to harvest for the breast area?  Are you aware that the fat may or may not survive in the breast?  So one breast may appear larger and one may be softer than the other.  The fat may become calcified over time.  Placing a breast implant into the breast is a more tried and proven method of breast augmentation. 

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer for breast augmentation needs good long term follow-up

+1

Although techniques are improving enough with fat transfer to considrer it for augmentation, the volumes that can be predictably placed in one session are much smaller than the average implant. For this reason touch-up's or additional grafting sessions may be needed later. This is one procedure where long-term follow-up is especially important. If you do go abroad I have 2 suggestions: first, be sure that the surgeon is a member of the International Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, and that he/she will provide an insuarance policy that covers after care by a qualified plastic surgeon close to your home. The website is ISAPS.org.

Richard Baxter, MD

Fat transfer to breast

+1

Stay in London. Consult a reputable plastic surgeon near you for treatment and FOLLOW UP.

Other places may be cheaper, but you must make your decision based on the apprpriate treatment not cost. It is much more expensive to repair a bad result or a complication.