Breast Explantation While Pregnant?

Can a breast explantation surgery be safely performed while pregnant? I have subglandular saline. I've heard its an easy procedure, and can even be done under "twilight" anesthesia.

NO Cosmetic Surgery While Pregnant

+2

The absolute safety of many of the medications used for Anesthesia have not been thoroughly investigated in pregnant women. As a result, unless your life or well being are threatened you will have a hard time finding an ethical Plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist who would be willing to perform a cosmetic operation on a pregnant woman thereby risking the fetus. We routinely perform pregnancy tests on all our menstruating patients to avoid unknowingly operating on a pregnant woman and risking potential damage to the fetus.  You will have to wait until you are done breast feeding or producing milk to have this procedure.

Breast implant removal during pregnancy

+1

A pregnant woman should not undergo any non-essential surgery, particularly involving sedation.  I will not perform any surgery on a patient in the first trimester involving epinephrine without written consent from the obstetrician.  There is no acute medical indication to perform a cosmetic procedure during a pregnancy and no reason to expose you and your unborn child to an potential complications.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Removing implants while pregnant

+1

This can be done under local with minimal discomfort.We always try to keep the drugs to a minimum.This would be a decision made between you,your ob doctor and your plastic surgeon.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Wait until after pregnancy.

+1

Breast implant removal under elective circumstances should be performed when you are NOT pregnant. There is no reason to expose your baby to any possible anesthetic risk.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Deflation of the Implants is Your Best Option

+1

While performing any surgery on a pregnant patient involves some risks because of the medications used during surgery you do have the option of having the implants deflated.  This procedure can be performed very safely even during pregnancy under local anesthesia.  It serves to reduce the size of the breasts which are naturally much larger during pregnancy and breast feeding.   

The deflated implant can then be removed and possibly replaced as needed a few months after pregnancy.

David L. Mobley, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Prengancy and surgery

+1

I woould not recommend any breast surgery while pregnant unless it is an emergency.  This can cause problems with the pregnancy.

Surgery While Pregnant?

+1

Although you do not mention any urgency of the need for implant removal,   I do not recommend having any type of non-urgent surgery while pregnant. There is no reason to expose yourself or an embryo to any unnecessary risk.