Breast Explantation For Silicone 600cc, 41 Y/O?

My implants are silicone 600cc and I am 41 years old. This is my second surgery. My first size was 475,but had capsule capture, so went in and had a revision to fix the CC and went larger. 1 year later they have bottomed out. I am thin with a small frame. I am afraid I went too large. My question is this, Do I have to get these fixed once they bottomed out? Will it cause more issues if I don't get it fixed. My PS wants to go back to 475 with internal sutures. Any advice?

Bottoming out of implants

+2

Bottoming out of breast implants is not life threatening in any way so it is  a matter of what you want. If you do not want this corrected then it is your choice. But, I agree, probably a smaller implant and resuspension of your fold is essential to give you a corrected appearance. 

Implants Bottom out

+1

You can expect your breast to be deflated and smaller than when you first had your augmentation after removal . I generally recommend under the muscle, a smaller implant and some revision with internal sutures in your case.  

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Bottoming Out of Breast Implants; Surgery Necessary?

+1

No, assuming you are not having significant symptoms associated with the breast implant displacement and you are okay with the aesthetic appearance of the breasts, then revisionary breast surgery is not “medically necessary”.

If your goal is to have smaller breasts that are sitting higher on your chest wall, your plastic surgeon's recommendation seems reasonable. If you do decide to proceed with revisionary breast surgery, make sure you communicate the goals clearly. In my practice, I prefer the use of goal pictures to help with this communication process.

Patients who undergo capsulorrhaphy surgery need to follow postoperative instructions in regards to strenuous activities/lifting to help prevent recurrence of the breast implant this placement problems.

It's up to you

+1

You do not "have to get these fixed". There is no risk to you leaving it alone. It will not "cause more issues" if you do not get it fixed. If and when you do decide to have it corrected, your surgeon's plan to use internal sutures and smaller implants is a good plan. He/she may choose to add some additional techniques such as changing the plane of the implants and/or using an acellular dermal allograft to suspend the implants. 

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Displaced Breast Implants

+1

Displacement of implants can progress or stay as is for long time. It all depend on the tissue quality and the size (Weight) of implants.

The decision for surgery is yours. If this displacement is not bothering you and willing to live with it, you can.

If it gets worse or you want it repaired then you can adjust the position through surgery.Repair of displaced implants can be a difficult surgery and recyrrence is high. There are different methods to repair displaced implants. You need to understand all these options and the rate of recurrence.