What Are the Risks of My Second Round of Breast Explant?

I originally had Trilucent implants placed sub muscular in 1996 which were removed and replaced with PIPs in 2000. These now also have to be removed. I am determined to have explant surgery however the surgeon seems to be concerned with build up of fluid in the cavity even though drains will be used and asks that I consider re-impanting. This is not what I want. What are the possible complications of explant only with regards to fluid retention in the the cavity? Many thanks

Risks Associated with Breast Implant Removal

+1

There are potential risks and complications with this procedure (as with any surgical procedure).  Here are some of the potential risks associated with breast implant removal.

Asymmetry: Almost everyone’s breasts are different to begin with and Dr. Pousti will do his best to make them as symmetric as possible — we can never guarantee that they will be perfect.

Bleeding: blood loss in this surgery is minimal. It is important after surgery, especially in the first 2 weeks, to avoid exercise and raising your heart rate and blood pressure. Also avoid aspirin, ibuprofen and many other medications that may affect your ability to clot your blood.

Infection: this is very rare but can be taken care of with antibiotics if it occurs.

Breast Sagging / Unsatisfactory redraping of the skin: ptosis or sagging of the breast may occur if the breast tissue stretched as a result of the breast implants does not tighten up post-surgery.

Loss of nipple/areola sensation: Numbness may occur temporarily or permanently from traumatizing sensory nerves in the breast during the procedure.

Inability to breast feed: this is not exact because some patients cannot breast feed prior to the surgery.

Inability to predict exact cup size: we will discuss your goals and do our best to achieve them.

Emotional / Physiological changes: it does take time to get used to the physical changes after breast implant removal surgery, especially for those who have had breast implants for quite some time.

Fluid Accumulation (seroma): Tissue fluid may build up in the area where the breast implant was removed. Additional treatment would be necessary to remove the excess fluid.

Contour Depression / Inversion of Nipple Areola Complex:

Unsatisfactory Results:

Displeasing breast size / shape: After breast implant removal, the breasts will not look the way they did prior to breast augmentation. It may take time to physically and emotionally get used to the loss of breast size / volume after implant removal.

Possibility of further surgery: Breast lifting or a breast re-augmentation may be desired after breast implant removal to either lift the breast tissue or add volume.

Communicate clearly with your surgeon and allow him/her to help you through the process.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/breast-implant-removal.htm

Explantation Breast Implant

+1

It is recommended that your PIP implants be removed with total capsulectomy.

You also mention you have fluid around the implant.

It is very important that the fluid and the capsule be sent for pathological examination. the fluid sent for cytology.

During surgery if there is any question of any abnormality in the capsule or in the smear of the fluid, that no replacement be done till the final pathology report comes back. Once healed copletely and depending on the final pathology report, you may consider reimplaantation if you desire.

Risk after second explanation

+1

Thank you for the question. Generally speaking the cavity will collaps after esplantation and there should be no fluid build up unless capsule tommy is performed. The fluid in the cavity should be sent for pathological examination as well as the capsule. But, you do not have to have another set of implants placed.