Breast explant with no replacement - how do I know if my plastic surgeon has enough relevant experience?

Although my doctor did a fantastic job I have decided to remove my implants without replacement. My original PS is very supportive and happy to do it but has only done one straight removal before. He's done plenty of remove and replace and revisions though. Is this relevant enough experience or should I look for someone who has done more explant without replacements? I trust original PS 100% and would otherwise be happy to stick with him. Thanks in advance.

+1

Generally speaking, removal of breast implants is a relatively straightforward procedure ( associated with a relatively quick/painless recovery), that any well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon should be able to perform for you. What your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts.

I hope this, and the attached link (with many examples of removal of breast implant cases), helps.

Removing breast implants

+1
Removing a breast implant is usually very straighforward. As for predicted the final shape and result it is less reliable.

Removal of implants

+1
Removing the implants is very easy, but reshaping the breast may be needed.  Some women want removal with fat transfer to give them fullness with their own tissue.  What can be done with your breast after the removal of the implants will depend upon how much tissue is left, and how much is sagging.  If your surgeon is not comfortable with this procedure, do find someone who has more experience. You might want to speak with a board certified plastic surgeon with many years of experience.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon