Is It Ok to Have Breast Explant Under a Local with Sedation?

I have breast implants under the muscle and i have been told i can have them removed under a local with sedation. I do have capsular contraction,(R) grading of II. Is it possible to have them out under a local as my surgeon assures me it is ok. I have to pay privately for this the money is an issue.She said it is not neccessay to remove the capsular. If it stays in could i have problems? I am so confused. I just want them out-- is my surgeon correct? Please can anyone help me with my desicion?

Removal Breast Implants OK with Local Anesthesia-Capsule Removal Requires General

+5

Thank you for your question. Generally simple removal of breast implants can be done with local anesthesia. However a Capsulectomy or removal of the breast implant capsule requires a general anesthesia.

It is Ok to Have Breast Explant Under a Local with Sedation.

+1

Greetings,

If you have smooth or modern textured implants, it is usually straight foirward  to remove them with local and deep sedation. Your surgeon must make the decision to leave the capsule in place.

Removal of the capsule is not commonly performed in our practice, since it can create issues of scarring, contour (shape) deformities, and can even adversly effect the blood supply and sensation.

Best Regards

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Removal of Breast Implants under Local Anesthesia?

+1

Generally speaking, removal of breast implants can be done under local anesthesia and is well tolerated by most patients. However, when additional procedures are necessary ( such as removal of thickened  breast implant capsule),  additional anesthesia may be necessary to ensure patient comfort and an appropriate level of anesthesia to perform the procedure safely.

If the scar tissue (capsule) Is significantly thickened it will likely be in your best interest to have it removed at the time of removal of breast implants.

+1

Implants can be removed under local anesthesia with IV  sedation . This is different to local anesthesia

It is not necessary to always remove the capsule,It can in fact be more dangerous and cause more bleeding

If the implant is ruptured or calcified,capsule removal may be necessary.Even  in these cases  local anesthesia with sedation may be sufficient 

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Removal Breast Implant

+1

Removal of breast Implants without doing a capsulectomy can be done under local with sedation.

My personal opinion is that the capsule should be reoved or "scraped so the two surfaces stick together. Capsulectomy is larger surgery and needs general anesthesia. Choose the right procedure not the cheaper procedure.