I'm Having Breast Enlargments Tomorrow and I'm So Scared, What Are the Chances of Me Not Waking Up?

I'm having breast enlargments tomorrow but I'm so scared, what are the chances of me not waking up from general anestetic? I'm 5 ft and about 6st 2. I have mild asthma and I'm anemic. But other than that I'm healthy. PLEASE HELP. Thankyou

Anesthesia safety

+1

Anesthesia is extremly safe these days with the modern equipment and medications used. You must do your research however, to make sure the surgery center is an approved facility. There are several national and state organizations that certify ambulatory surgery centers. This is extremely important if surgery is being performed in an office based facility. Also make sure your anesthesiologist is a board certified in anesthesia Also ask if your surgeon is board certified by one of the national boards such as American Board of Plastic Surgeons.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Anesthetic Risks

+1

Wow! Six stone and two pounds! That's 86 pounds. You are indeed tiny. The risks of dying a general anesthetic are about one in twenty thousand provided you are reasonably fit and a Board Certified (Consultant) Anesthesiologist is looking after you. I would insist on the latter.

J. Brian Boyd, MD

Where are you having your surgery done?

+1

There is a great deal of misinformation around when it comes to anesthesia in cosmetic surgery. There are practitioners who claim they can perform procedures more safely because they do not employ general anesthesia. Often the are  working in a facility that does not offer general anesthesia as an option.

The most important question is whether the appropriate anesthesia option will be provided. Ask whether there will be proper safeguards and procedures. If you will have general anesthesia a qualified anesthesia provider should be present for the procedure to monitor you and to provide input as to the most appropriate options. 

Having this second professional does cost more but if your procedure does require more than level 1 anesthesia it is essential.

Also, ask if  the facility you are having your procedure is acreditated by one of the agencies that review surgical facilities. This is an indication that the facility has established standards and procedures that ensure patient safety. 

Talk about your concerns with your surgeon. Do not procede until you are comfortable. 

Thomas R. Walek, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Risk Of Anesthesia

+1

Thank you for the question. The risk of anesthesia will rise:

* As age of the patient increases

* With the presence of other mitigating health factors such as recent heart attack, recent history of strokes, etc.

* Patients undergoing an emergent operation.
In a healthy person such as yourself, comparison of the relative risk of death from anesthesia vs. the risk of death from driving a car, shows that you are roughly 1000 times more likely to die in a car accident then while under an anesthetic. 

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

What Are the Chances of Me Not Waking Up

+1

Unexpected death rate for anesthetic in a healthy women is somewhat under one per million cases. It is higher for men, higher for older patients, higher for patients in ill health. 

Anesthesia safety has improved dramatically over the past few decades with the use of better monitoring, and better training of providers. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes.