Right Breast Deformed Post Op, Why Did It Happen and How Can This Be Corrected?

I had a breast augmentation one year ago (round silicone mod+ 275 partial unders) I had a benelli breast lift 7 weeks ago. My right will not drop and there is a ridge on lower pole. Is it my muscle creating this deformed line? Its like the implant is hung up on something and my tissues won't cover the bottom half of implant or allow it to relax and drop fully. Basically, my right lower pole is completely deformed. My creases were not lowered and the right is sitting higher than original fold.

Fold under the breast

+2

I agree that it would be nice to have your preop photos.  I suspect that your fold was very high and it was not adequately released at the time of your aug and periareolar lift.  I think the band is your persistant orginal inframammay fold.  This can be tricky to fix because weakening the persistant fold will thin the tissues.  Your surgeon may be able to do a partial release which will help that part of the breast to round out.  Make sure you check back in with your surgeon.  I am sure he/she wants you to get a nice result.

Band under the right breast

+1

This is a frequent question about who is a candidate for a Benelli vs. a vertical mastopexy.  I find that if the only skin you are going to remove is areolar skin then the Benelli lift can work quite well.  A pre-operative photo would be beneficial.  The risk of the Benelli is some flattening of the breast and some long term widening of the diameter of the areola.     This may be distorting your breast and causing the abnormal creasing.  You may consider an internal release of the band to help release the soft tissue and help it splay out over the implant.  

You need in person examination and evaluation

+1
The before surgery picture would be helpful. Your right breast tissue is pulled up and your implant is touching the skin and causing the fold formation.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Deformity after Bennelli mastopexy

+1

Assuming that your breasts appeared symmetric prior to the mastopexy, it would be unusual to develop your degree of asymmetry and the contour deformity within the lower outer quadrant of the right breast from a Bennelli mastopexy.  There are several potential explanations, including the possibility that your surgeon tightened the scar capsule around your implant, which could elevate the implant and create the contour deformity that you see.  The best person to address / explain your current appearance and what to expect in the future would be your plastic surgeon, who knows exactly what was done during your last surgical procedure.

Good luck.

Craig S. Rock, MD

Deformity post bennelli mastopexy

+1

Dear lolamango321,

I agree with the majority of the opinions here.   There are multiple reasons for that banding that is visible in the R lower lateral pole.  Anything from scarring, capsular contracture and even implant rupture could produce irregular shaped bands in the area.   The latter being the most unlikely.  I think you need to see your plastic surgeon for reevaluation to determine the source of the lateral banding as he/she was there for the surgical procedure and have a much more intimate knowledge of you anatomy.  Due to your pictures it also appears that you are recently post op with time it is possible that as the implant “resettles” from the mastopexy that the ridge could become less inconspicuous and visible.  As always follow up with your surgeon.

Ernesto Hayn, MD

Misshapen breast after breast implant and capsular contracture

+1

Without more information it is difficult to say what is happening/causing this problem. Are the implants above or below the muscle? What did they look like before the Benelli lift? What was your initial size and how big are the implants? How thick is the breast tissue over the implant? etc.

The photos show capsular contracture in both breasts, a higher right inframammary fold and a crescent like indent in the right lower outer quadrant. If the right fold was higher than the left before the first surgery then it is independent of the surgery. If it was not then it is higher because of capsule contracture or the left was disrupted at surgery. If the crescent shaped indent only appeared after the benelli lift then it is most likely related to the capsule with a fold in the implant especially if the breast tissue is thin and you will need surgery on the capsule to correct it. It is less likely that the breast tissue was cut into at different planes and distorted when the skin edges were brought together during the benelli lift. It is unlikely that it is related to the muscle as the pectoralis major muscle does not cover the outer lower quadrant of the implant even if the implant is placed "under the muscle". There is also a small possibility that the right implant is partially deflated.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Breast deformity after augmentation and lift

+1

Assuming you did not have that ridge before the donut mastopexy, it would be hard to explain how a Benelli lift would cause that.  Your surgeon may have done a more involved procedure than that.

Malik Kutty, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Deformity right breast

+1

The ridge you are describing and seen on your photos could be from the edge of the pectoralis muscle or the capsule and or scar tissue.  The surgeon who performed the surgery would be the best person to answer this since they were there and did the surgery.  As you probably already know, your breasts will settle and change over time as things heal.  Discuss this with your surgeon and determine if he feels it will settle and improve or if something needs to be done.  

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Benelli mastopexies can cause wrinkles that time to settle but this looks more than expected.

+1

Benelli matopexies have the advantage of confining the scar to around the areola but problems with early wrinkling of the scar and flattening of the breast from circumferential pressure.

In your photos, the deep visible banding exceeds what I would expect from the wrinkling of a Benilli.  Instead, it is possible that the increased pressure from the recent mastopexy may have brought out some latent problems with your 1 year old implants.  There may have been some underlying degree of capsular contracture that became visible with the breast tightening from your mastopexy. 

This can be easily confirmed with a physical exam.  If a firm underlying band is present, then a capsulotomy with implant exchange may be necessary to correct the underlying problem.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Right breast problems

+1

Your right breast looks to have an indented scar curving laterally around it.  What is this - is it a scar from an extension of the lift?  It is probably the source of the problem you have.  Go to a plastic surgeon for an exam.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS