Breast Looks Deformed After Replacement of Implant Following Infection? (photo)

I had my BA on Jan 19. About 2 1/2 weeks after, I contracted staph in my right incision, which resulted in having to have my implant removed on Feb 22 for 3 months. On May 24, I had my implant reinserted, which now looks very deformed. I realize that it has only been 2 months, and that I should give it about 6 months before judging, but something does not look right. Additionally, my incision looks "tucked" or dented underneath my breast. I have 460cc in left and 450cc in right. Any help please!

Re aug post infection

+2

I would give it soem more time.the L looks bigger but I think the right has not fallen so massage and time.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry and implants

+2

Yes I see the asymmetry.  But at two months out it is a bit early. Things may settle with the breast descending a bit more.  It is always helpful to evaluate your pre-op photos as well.

Breast Looks Deformed After Replacement of Implant Following Infection?

+2

Sorry for your issues and thanks posting the photos. But original before would help to see if you had asymmetry from the beginning. If yes than you need a lifting on the left side. If no than the right needed open capsulectomy/otomy. Best to obtain additional in person opinions. 

Breast Changes After Revision

+2

From your photos, I can see the issues you describe. Once an implant has been removed, you can see a shrinking of the old capsule. If this is not released properly, there may be a flattening of the breast or change in shape. Time is important to allow for the healing process to complete, but with the changes you see at this point, it is likely you will need a release of the capsule. Sine you did not have a capsule initially, I am not sure that this is your issue or just an insufficient release. Return to your surgeon to discuss your options.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Deformed breast after infected augmentation

+2

Unfortunately the infection will make you more susceptible to capsular contracture. It would not at all be unusual for the scar to become a little puckered.  You might want to consider an oral medication like Accolate to help fight contracting forces.  Eventually you may need a revision but I would wait, as you suggested, 4-6 months. 

If you do have a revision make sure you start antibiotics specific for the staph you had, beginning about three days before surgery and continuing for three days after sugery.  There is no "science" to this recommendation but we know that bacteria can live, quietly, in scar tissue for years and years and can rear their ugly heads after surgery.

Daniel Greenwald, MD