What Can I Do if my Breast Crease Incisions Were Placed Too High?

I got convinced the inframmary incision would be better hidden. My doctor explained they always do the crease incision slightly above the fold so it is not visible in swimsuits. I explained my concern about visible scars on my breast and he explained it would only be 1 cm above crease. Unfortunately, as he stated, i have a short nipple to crease ratio and now the incisions he did are an inch above the crease and far too close to my nipple! i am 3 wks post op-will my lower skin stretch to move incisions down at all?

What Can I Do if my Breast Crease Incisions Were Placed Too High

+1

There is not alot to do if the incision was placed too high other than hoping that it will fade and be less visible. Tissue expanders and/or serial excision  are generally not useful here.

Incision

+1

The incision may change a bit as the implants settle into the pocket, but they should fade with time as do most.

Incisions too high

+1

The incision will soften over time and become less distinct.  If the skin stretches then it may not change the position of the incision for the better. A picture would be helpful. Continue to follow your surgeon's advice and allow the incisions to heal and soften over time.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Crease incision not always best for breast augmentation!

+1

I have seen many complaints from women who had inframammary (crease) incisions for breast augmentation done elsewhere. That is why I prefer a periareaola incision, which leaves a near invisible scar! It is simply too hard in most cases to guarantee that the crease incision will stay fixed in the fold! You said "My doctor explained they always do the crease incision slightly above the fold so it is not visible in swimsuits." Unfortunately, this crease incision may always be visible in "lawsuits"! Best of luck with your scar. It may fade, but it will always be visible.

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Nothing to do for breast crease incision too high

+1

Dr. Rand is right. There is nothing that can move the location of the scar. However, there is a good chance that they will become much less visible as the scar heals but it might take up to a year before that happens. I recommend a scar fade cream called Kelo-Cote which is available on-line without a prescription. You can google it. I have no affiliation with that company.

Robert B. Pollack, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

This is one time that the best answer is wait!

+1

If you are still short in the nipple to crease measurement, then there is nothing you can do except treat your scars. I usually recommend silicone scar treatment sheets or Mederma. The more diligent you are about treating your scars, the better they will likely be. But it takes about 12 months to see your final scar. Once it has faded, it should be much less inconspicuous than what you are seeing right now.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Crease incisions too high

+1

You have a tough problem because time and setttling aren't going to move these scars into a less visible location. Since they are aleady there and can't be taken back, all you can do right now is perform scar massage and see how well they fade.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Give yourself time to heal after breast augmentation

+1

You are very early in the postop period and the skin may stretch out over time. In patients with short nipple to fold distances I often use areolar incisions to avoid this problem that you describe. For now, do not panic. The skin may stretch and the scars may fade and not be problems for you.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon