Is It Possible for Breasts to Be Settled After 1 Month?

I had BA a month ago 32B to 500cc (32 DD Now) high profile silicone under muscle I'm 5 "4" 140lbs . I'm happy but curious to know why I didnt have any swelling after breast augmentation. Most people are really swollen and implants are really high right after BA and mine have always been in the right position and didn't need to "drop". Would it be ok to wear a push up bra at this point?

Final Implant Position

+4
As you are finding out from reading my colleagues postings, implants settle at different rates and amounts depending on the person. I personally place implants differently in each patient depending on their age, breast shape, size, implant shape and size to name a few. Those of us with a lot of breast implant experience know that no two patients are alike. Perfect at one month with no swelling may be right where you should be. Time will tell. In my practice we encourage our patients to wear a soft cotton bra for the first 2-4 weeks and then allow them to wear underwire bras. This usually allows the breast swelling to diminish and allow the patient to wear her bra with comfort. If you have any questions please call your surgeon. I'm sure they would be happy to answer your questions for you.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant position at 1 month post-op may not be "final" position!

+3

Every patient is different in the degree of swelling after breast augmentation, just as each patient has more or less skin laxity (dependent on genetics, weight gain and loss, pregnancies, and breast feeding history) and more or less muscle tone. Most important in your case, is that you look good at this point, though healing is not yet complete. As your capsule heals, matures, softens, and settles over 6 months or more, it would not be good for your presently-ideal implant position to gradually drop into a too-low position. Re-operation may become necessary to raise your crease position. That is why it is critical to wear a bra full-time, including a comfortable stretch bra at night, until your tissues have fully healed. Have a (close) friend take a photo of your breasts at a distance of about 5 feet, and do this again at 6 months from surgery. There are some surgeons who feel that your implants should be in their "final" position on the operating table, but the majority of experienced breast surgeons who see their patients back over a prolonged period of time recognize that implant position drops in virtually every patient. I tell my patients I can never predict how rapidly or how much this will occur, but that I will monitor their progress as this happens so that I can help the process along if needed, or slow the process down if "bottoming out" seems to be occurring! Elastic bandeaus and /or brassieres are our tools to help modify the healing process to yield pleasing results for the long term once things have completely healed and settled, not just right after surgery! All too often, the patients who all compare their beautiful results right after BA (if they are in the "right position" immediately) end up in their doctor's waiting room 6-12 months later upset that they need to have another operation to raise their crease position! Why not start a little "high" and let them settle (with proper assistance and follow-up) into "perfect" position over time and for the long term?

As far as swelling goes, those surgeons who utilize careful surgical technique have less bleeding, less bruising, and less swelling in their BA patients. Most of my patients have little to no bruising, and only some swelling in the tissues around the breasts, Because of this lack of significant swelling, the breast size is already established, and size does not "go down" over time. In fact, as the implant position drops and the breasts soften, the appearance and fullness is even more natural as the "high and tight" look is replaced by the final great appearance for the long term. Surgeons who use blunt dissection technique, or who accept a certain degree of bleeding and bruising as "normal" during surgery, may in fact use a drain, wrap the chest/breast area with an Ace bandage, or place the patient in a snug surgical bra, usually to help diminish the swelling and bruising. This is unnecessary, IMHO, with careful technique and precise control of bleeders in the operating room. This also reduces the incidence and severity of capsular contracture!

So, lack of bruising and swelling--good for you! 

Implant position "fine" 1 month after surgery--maybe not so good; wear a supportive bra at all times to prevent any further dropping, and hope for the best. Your surgeon may have done everything right except getting the pocket too low.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

You are one of the lucky ones

+2

Patients vary greatly in the amount of swelling they get after breast augmentations.  A few seem to have very little from the start.  Others can take several months.  In spit of your good fortunae, the capsule around your implant pocket is not healing any faster than normal.  It yakes 6-12 months for it to become "mature".  Some surgeons feel that artificially pushing the implants upward with a bra early in the recovery period can affect the eventual position of the implant or even cause capsular contracture.  This has never been officially studied and I personally allow my patients to wear underwire bras 2 months after surgery, but caution the use of a push up bra except for short period of time (like an evening out).  It would be best to ask your surgeon and follow his/her advice.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Breast implants should not need to settle.

+2

Hi

It sounds like you have had the ideal experience. I think it is a myth that breast implants should start up high and then gradually settle. When they start up high, they usually stay there.

We make sure that the implants are exactly where we want them to be before the operation is finished, and there is very little swelling when the surgery is done gently.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Settling of breast implants

+2

It can take up to three months for breast implants to settle and assume their final position. This, however, can vary to a significant degree from patient to patient depending both on their particular anatomy and on intra-operative factors such as how low the pocket was dissected. If the implants are in an ideal position one month post op I would usually suggest wearing a  supportive under wire bra at all times when upright over the next several months to help keep the implants where they are and avoid further descent.

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

You may have already stretched out your breast tissue and skin from pregnancy

+2

It''s not uncommon for patients who have had several children and stretched out their breast tissue  and skin with the growth of their breast while pregnant to have much quicker settling of their breast implants. Even though you feel that things have stopped changing, there will be some more changes over the next few weeks. I recommend that women wait for a good two months before they start wearing bras that shape their breast. I want my patients to wear a bra that is stretchy which the breast shapes, not the bra that shapes the breast for two months. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Breast augmentation

+1

My guess is that you probably had a little loose breast tissue to start with possibly from childbirth or weight loss. So the implants filled out this loose tissue and the breasts don't look overly tight or high a month out of surgery. This is completely normal. I would disregard any suggestions that the surgeon may have made the pocket too low. While this is a possibility only your surgeon would really know if this was the case and even if there were photos to see we would only be guessing. I would say be happy that you don't have that much swellling and that the implants look good already and as mentioned below wear good support bras while they are healing.

David E. Kim, MD

Breast augmentation

+1

In my practice I do not recommend a wire or push up bra. I would like my patient to wear a sports bra. You should check with the surgeon

David L. Abramson, MD

Implants and settling

+1

Every patients heals a bit differently. Some settle into the pocket sooner than others.  But usually there is a sweling that persists for several months and the breast shape does change a bit.

Settling of breast implants.

+1

There typically is swelling after breat implant surgery, but no 2 patients are exactly alike. Settling at 1 month is uncommon.  Speak to your PS about wearing a push up bra as  some surgeons discourage it early after surgery.

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon