Do Breasts Change Their Shape Months After a Lift? Can They Look Different?

I've had 5 breast revisions surgery's in the last 5years due to Capsular contracture. My left breast is hardening again (a year and 1/2 later) after the 5th surgery. I am scheduled for implant removal and a lift. Do I have enough scar tissue left to look normal? As I heal, will my breast look the same or can I expect more problems as far the symmetrical look down the road?

Six Operations: Complex Situation

+2

I am sorry you have had so much difficulty.

Your question is not easily answered, especially without consultation, examination and review of your prior surgery records.

With the difficulties you've had, removal of your implants and capsules seems a reasonable choice.

With Mastopexy and breast volume adjustment, you have the best chance for improving symmetry.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Capsular Contracture Complications?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced;  at this point, removal of breast implants and differential breast lifting is your best option. Hopefully, you will be pleased with the breast size, shape, and symmetry without having to worry about ongoing issues related to breast implants.

PHOTOS: Breast asymmetry and treatment with Implant removal and a lift.

+1

Judging on your photo, I would recommend explantation, lift and one sided reduction. It is difficult to know what size you will be without knowing the size of your current implants. There are so many factors that will effect the ultimate outcome and appearance of your breasts following implant removal. These include:

1.Age (yes, over 40 does mean less elasticity/contractility than a 25 year old but usually more than a 60 year old)
2.Size of implant
3.Number of years implant is in place
4.Over or under the muscle placement
5.Length and duration of nursing while implants are in place
6.Natural volume of breast tissue

In summary, it is my experience that If you go with a conservative volume implant (that is a subjective and not objective term) relative to your breast tissue, it is likely that you will have some loss of upper fullness with implatnt removal but not a drastic amount of sag (ptosis).

I have prepared a video on youtube entitled Breast Augmentation Overview in which I show the consequences of two patients who have undergone implants removal:

1.Scroll to 1 min into the video and you will see a 40 year old who underwent implant removal 1 year after placement. I do not have the pre implant photos because the augmentation was performed elsewhere and the patient preferred to have me remove the implant rather than the initial surgeon

.
2.Scroll to 1 min 30 sec into the video and the second patient is a 42 year old who had implants in place for 20 years.

Occasionally, it is obvious that a person will need a lift and implant removal and replacement can be performed simultaneously although there are some concerns about the circulation to the nipple areolar complex. I generally prefer a two stage approach with implant removal followed b 6-9 months of observation and then decide on a lift at that point in time. If there is a question about the need for a lift, saline implants can be deflated with a needle to get a rough idea bout the degree of sagging or droop (ptosis) followed by observation for 1-2 weeks to observe the effects of immediate contraction.

Removing Breast Implants and Breast Lift

+1

I believe that you are doing the right thing by removing your implants and having a lift to create symmetry of your breasts.  Whether your breast have enough "nature" to them to undergo a lift is determined by a physical exam by your surgeon.  You should expect symmetric breasts that have longevity.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breasts do change shape after a lift or reduction

+1

Depending on the type of breast lift, and the size and weight of the breast, there is a shift and give in the breast envelope after several months. The lower portion of the breast will settle in and smooth itself and the texture of the breast will soften. Of course, at worse the ptosis or droop can recur.  Specific to your question, after five breast revisions, my advice would be to remove the breast implants without mastopexy. Let the breast rest and recover, and then have a lift when the breast is soft and stable. It is hard to ask, but I think you will have the best chance of symmetry and a predictable and pleasant result.

peterejohnsonmd

+1

Sorry for all your issues and post operative problems. Your case is much to complex to discuss over the internet. Seek many evaluations from Boarded Plastic Surgeons. My guess is to remove the implants do a full lift to attain some evenness. Best of Luck. 

Enough breast tissue

+1

This isi a tough question for a very complicated problem. At the minimum is requires an exam and long discussion of goals of surgery.