Breast Capsulectomy Dangerous if Not Fixed?

i had surgery june 25 2012 and one breast is harder than the other. I feel like they didn't drop good. Dr said its breast capsulectomy; is that dangerous if you dont fix it??

Distorted breasts and capsules

+1

You need to clarify your concerns with your surgeon and find a solution together to help resolve this.  If your implants sit in a funny position, you will need surgery to correct this and also need to know the other risks of such surgery as well as the risk for recurrence.  In my practice, such a problem would require that you cover the operating room and anesthesia and I would be more than happy to attempt a revision to correct your concerns.  Know your doctor's revision policies.

Breast Capsulectomy Dangerous if Not Fixed

+1

If untreated and allowed to progress a capsular contracture will usually get tighter causing distortion in the breast and displaying such on the chest wall.  It can become quite painful as well.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Hard Breast

+1

All breast implants gets a capsule.  This is normal.  However, occasionally the capsule can thicken and become more firm.  There are several reasons why this can happen... infection, bleeding, inflammation, etc.  The firm capsule can distort the breast and cause an implant to look too high.  A capsule is Not Dangerous.  Sometimes in extreme cases it can be painful.  If the capsule is not that severe, you could just leave it alone.  But it is unlikely to change much, especially after several months.   Other times surgery will be needed to release and even remove the tight capsular tissue to create a more natural looking and feeling breast.   But this is no guarantee that the breast will remain normal.  A tight capsule can reform while you are healing.  I have been using  more dermal tissue matrix material when dealing with capsular contracture.  I and other doctors have found that these materials significantly reduce the recurrence of the tight capsules.  I one of the other posts, accolate was mentioned.  Sometimes this medication can help.  But please be cautious.  Accolate is an asthma medication and its use for breast capsules is Off Label.  Also, please be aware that accolate use can cause harm to the liver and possibly liver failure.    Thanks for your question.

Steven Svehlak, MD

Capsulectomy

+1

In many cases, a medicine called accolate can help when an implant capsule hardens. In the cases where it does not resolve with accolate, surgery will help correct it otherwise it will remain hard.

Michael Horn, MD

Is Capsular Contracture Dangerous?

+1

Your body reacts to breast implants as it would to any foreign material.  It can't break the implants down and get rid of them so it seals them off by forming a scar tissue capsule around the implant.  Everyone gets some kind of capsule around their implants.  As long as the capsule stays soft and pliable you will probably never know it is there.  If it gets thicker or the scar tissue contracts (as scar tissue tends to do) then it can become firm and distort the breast.  It can also become uncomfortable.  Still, it is just scar tissue and therefore  not dangerous.  There are several options for treating capsular contractures.  You should discuss your options with your plastic surgeon.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Is capsular contracture dangerous after breast augmentation?

+1

Capsular contracture is not itself dangerous in anyway, however your breast may progress to a harder breast if it is not treated.  Accolate is an anti-inflammatory medication originally used to treat asthma which has been effective in early capsular contracture.

Gregory Diehl, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant and Capsulectomy

+1

If you have capsular contracture, the process is progressive and it will worsen with time.  Capsular contracture is not dangerous, but you will likely develop more distortion and pain.  Capsulectomy is the treatment that is necessary to correct the problem.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA  

Caspule issues

+1

If you have a tight capsule you will need to have it released to adequately position your implant properly.

Capsular contracture

+1

This does sound like a capsular contracture which will most likely only respond to some type of surgical intervention. If left untreated, the contracture will continue to progress. This may not cause a true health problem, but certainly can lead to increased distortion of the implant and even pain. Often, early capsular contractures are easier to correct than ones that have persisted for long periods of time.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

+1

Photos would help!

If the implant is firmer on one side than the other, capsular contracture is the diagnosis, rather than failure to drop and resultant malposition. 

There are non-operative remedies to try before surgery that you should discuss with your surgeon. There are no dangers  in not treating the contracture. 

All the best.