Would Breast Calcifications Showing on a Mammogram Inhibit my Breast Reduction Surgery?

I had a recent mammogram and the Dr. at the hospital had me come back for another mammogram and an ultrasound. No definitive masses were noted, but there were calcifications found in one breast and I am supposed to go for a follow -up in 6 months. However, my breast reduction is scheduled for 6 weeks. Does this present a problem if there appears to be nothing definitively wrong? Thank you so much

Breast Reduction and Breast Calcifications?

+2

Benign breast calcifications should not be a contraindication to breast reduction surgery. It is a good idea to have the mammogram prior to the surgery for a “baseline”. Keep in mind, that any type of breast surgery can potentially lead to additional findings on mammograms  done postoperatively.

Assuming you are a good candidate for breast reduction surgery, I would suggest that you proceed;  it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Breast reduction with calcifications

+2
Calcifications are not a contraindication to breast reduction. All the breast tissue removed should be sent for pathologic analysis. Patients with macromastia are difficult to evaluate with mammography because of the density and size of their breasts and they are at higher risk than the general population for breast cancer as a consequence. Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Mammographic abnormalities and their significance can vary greatly

+1

Hi there-

Because there can be so much variability in the nature and implications of calcifications seen on mammogram, and because a breast reduction operation may alter your radiologists' ability to follow these abnormalities over time, I would not recommend proceeding with surgery until someone has given you an indication of their level of concern for these abnormalities...

In other words- talk to your gynecologist or the radiologist who did your evaluation. It may be that they tell you they abnormalities they see on your mammogram are not that concerning and that you can proceed with your reduction as long as the tissue is end to the lab and you have a follow up mammogram in 6 months...

On the other hand, they may say that they would rather you not have surgery on your breasts until the follow up mammogram in 6 months shows no significant change...

As long as your radiologist and your gynecologist are on board, you would be able to proceed with confidence.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS