What Should I Do About Breast, Back and Neck Pains?

I am 19 and i've been having breast pains and problems fo 3 years. I've told my doctor about it and nothing is being done about it. I use to wear a 36 C now I am in in a 36 or 40 DD bra. My breast have gotten so large that I have to wear two bras to hold them up and to keep them from hurting my shoulders, back, and neck. My bra straps hurt so bad that it cause me to have headaches. I'm in need of desperate help. Should I talk to a specialist about a breast reduction or try to deal with the pain?

Juvenile Breast Hypertrophy

+1

It sounds like  you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.

Make sure you're  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Breast Reduction to Stop Back and Neck Pain

+1

Your symptoms are exactly why some women choose to have breast reduction surgery. It is not necessary for you to suffer like this. I would advise you to have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to see what your options are. If you have medical insurance it is very possible it will cover most if not all of your expenses. Your plastic surgeons office should be able to help you obtain pre authorization.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

To go with a breast reduction.....

+1

Your complaints of neck, back, and shoulder pain, as well as having to wear two bras to alleviate these symptoms may well be the result of bilateral symptomatic macromastia.  You may be a candidate for a reduction.  It may be a good idea to readress this issue with your primary care physician, to get referral to a board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Jennifer Buck, MD

Breast reduction

+1

It sounds like you might be a good candidate for a breast reduction.  You should seek out a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  A plastic surgeon can describe the procedure and recovery to you and help you obtain insurance approval.

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction

+1

You may be a candidate for breast reduction surgery. This procedure may be covered by your health insurance. Check with your insurance plan and find a board certified plastic surgeron that participates. Start with a consultation to see what your options are. You will most likely have to get supporting documents from your primary care doctor and also another one showing conservative treatment by a chiropractor, orthopedic doctor, or physical therapist. Those 2 letters along with the plastic surgeon should present a case of medical necessity. It's such a rewarding prodcedure and i encourage you to take these steps. best of luck to you.

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD