Should I Have Breast Augmentration Before or After Kids?

I am 28 years old and am getting married in 5 months. I want to look my best for the wedding and wanted to get them 2 months before. But I plan on having kids in maybe 2 years so. I am torn on what to do.

I am currently a 36B but my breasts are very pointy. I do not want large breasts, just a slight increase in size and a more rounded look. I do not know if they will change shape a great deal afterwards if I am not going very big. Thanks!

Go ahead and have it done now.

+1

Many women have implants before child birth. If you were trying to get pregnant now, it wouldn't make sense, but if this is an event several years away, why not enjoy the implants now. Breasts may suffer as a consequence of pregnancy. The implants don't effect this one way or the other. If you want to breast feed, that's okay too.

Breast Implants and pregnancy

+1

Certainly, if you have breast augmentation now, you be able to enjoy the results for this important time of your life. Some women note only small changes in their breasts with pregnancy, while some have more pronounced involution (loss of volume and sagging). If this were the case, you might need a lift. Only time will tell. Likely, the "pointy" shape of your breasts would be improved with a properly selected implant shape, though some conditions (tubular breasts) are more challenging to correct.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant before or after children

+1

Hi, Kristyab.

This is a question that I get alot, and it's an important one. The real issue is how pregnancy will change the shape of your breasts. Unfortunately there is no good way of knowing this. Some women have major changes in the shape of their breasts after pregnancy, and others have minimal changes. There really doesn't seem to be too much rhyme or reason to this. However, women with smaller breasts tend to have lesser changes (but not always!).

So where does this put you in terms of your timing? Well, if it's going to be at least two years before you have children, I would go ahead with this now. If you were thinking about children in a year or less, I would wait. The implants should not affect breast feeding, and they should pose no problems to your future children's health.

Your wedding day is your big day! If you will feel better having a breast enlargement before, I'd say go for it!

David B.

David B. Reath, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Changes in breast implant appearance with pregnancy

+1

Hi,

It's really hard to predict what effect pregancy will have on your breast appearance. In some women, pregnancy results in very minimal changes to their implants. In other women, the rapid increase and decrease is size severely compromises the elasticity of the breast skin and the breast supporting ligaments. In these women, the breasts can look saggy and need a lift to achieve an ideal appearance.

Bottom line: if you're unhappy with your appearance at present, and want a certain look for your wedding, there's no reason to delay having implants placed. It's certainly possible you may need a lift well down the road, when you're done having children, but it is a commonly performed procedure.

Hope this helps. All the best.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Breast implant and timing

+1

Before or after children, that is the question. Everyone's decision to have implants and when to get them is a personal decision. I have many patients on both sides of the fence. Yes, after children the breasts will change a bit and a lift may be needed. Hard to tell for each patient.

Two issues

+1

When to get them is totally for you to decide, and no one can make that decision for you. If you want them now, and don't want to wait, get them. If you wish to wait, padded bra can help with the wedding. So just prioritize and make your choice. One thing to remember is that pregnancy may have a detrimental effect on the shape of the breasts.

The other thing is the shape of the breasts. You mentioned "pointy". This may be something to consider, and may indicate a tuberous breast.

It might be best if you meet with a surgeon and get good feedback and information to decide.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Breast augmentation before or after children

+1

IF youhave "pointy" breasts, you may have a variant of tuberous or contricted breasts. Correction of this condition typically requires surgical release of the breast tissue. This could potentially interfere with nursing and/or lactation. If this is something you strongly desire to do, then I would advise postponing the surgery and using a form enhancing bra to achieve your desired wedding appearance.

Breast implants and pregnancy-timing

+1

The question you will need to answer for yourself is whether you are willing to stay as you are until you have children and then do what you want to do after having the children or doing the breast augmentation now and receiving the benefit now but perhaps needing a second surgery to "fix" what the prgnancies might do to your breasts. Only you can make that decision.

Be aware that pregnancy will change your breasts with and without implants in place.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Timing of breast augmentation

+1

A few comments about your question. First, breast augmentation is an elective procedure designed to provide a benefit to you. You have to decide if the benefit for 2-3 years of your life is worth it. No one else can decide that for you. All bets are off once you get pregnant since you cannot predict what will happen to your breasts. If you are very motivated, then do it. If you are hesitant, then don't.

Another consideration is possible complications. Although complications are rare, you have to be prepared to deal with complications so plan far enough in advance of a major event, like a wedding.

Finally, the surgery you do should be determined by what you want as an end result. Discuss in detail your goals. Your surgeon should customize the surgery to produce the result you want as closely as possible.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breast implants before children or after

+1

Having breast implants is a very personal decision and influenced by many factors. By my count, it sounds like you are not planning kids for about 2 1/2 years. So you can decide, do you want to change the shape and size now or do you want to wait until after you have had all your kids.

There will be changes in your breasts whether you have implants or not. We see many women who have implants before children and who need no adjustments after children. In general the smaller your breasts are before implants the less of a chance of needing an adjustment after pregnancy.

In the end you are the best equipped to make that decision together with your plastic surgeon.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon