Breast Augmentation Results Continue To Change Shape, It It Due To Scar Tissue? (photo)

Last year had breast lift and augmentation, 3 mnths later replaced implants due to "severe" CC and scar tissue. One year later, again, my right breast continues to harden and change shape. Recently had ultra sound and x-rays to verify no problem with implants. Implants are silicone and under the muscle. I take Singular, 1200-1600 mg of Vitamin E, and pain meds daily. Very depressed with results! Can this be from scar tissue? If so, can this be corrected, preferable without surgery?

Recurrent Capsular Contracture After Augmentation and Mastopexy

+2

My approach to recurrent capsular contracture, especially when the implants have been placed under the muscle, is to use a biologic membrane. These dissolving membranes have been shown to inhibit capsular contracture by giving the body a chance to heal with very slow scar formation as the membrane dissolves.

My preferred material is Veritas, but other membranes, such as Alloderm or Strattice, have also been effective.

Find a Board Certified platsic surgeon who has experience with this technology. Be sure to see several pre- and post-operative pictures.

Breast Augmentation Results Continue To Change Shape, It It Due To Scar Tissue?

+2

Thanks for posting the photos it does ALWAYS help us reply. Based upon the posted photos I believe your result is acceptable but the "on going" capsular fibrous is in need of in person evaluation. Over the internet very hard to address. You are doing everything non surgical that I can/would use. If still having theses issues best to obtain a few in person opinions. Do not be so quick to remove the implants, think about it. Follow up please. 

Capsular contracture?

+2

It sounds like you have an ongoing capsular contracture. Some may say start over and remove implants for a few months. Some would change the implants and add strattice for recurrent capsules.

Breast hardening

+2

I am sorry to hear about your problem.  Your description is consistent with redevelopment of a capsular contracture but an examination would be necessary to confirm the diagnosis and then to suggest a course of treatment.  Unfortunately, surgery may be necessary.

Breast hardening after implants

+2

The hardening and shape shift the past year is likely a recurring capsular contracture. The singulair and vitamin E are not likely to help and not FDA approved as effective to reduce the contracture. The pain medication is a worry and you should try to do without, and if you cannot you might have to consider life without implants if things are not working out.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Post Breast Augmentation and Lift Results

+2

It appears from your photos that the shape of your breasts is somewhat different than one would hope, but I cannot give you more details without seeing the pre-op images. However, if there is progressive change in the shape as well as hardening of the breasts, it is possible that the capsule is returning. Stay in touch with your surgeon, but the only non-surgical option is Singulair and this is off label usage. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Settling and scar tissue combined.

+2

You have a combination of scarring and settling of your implants. This leads to shape changes some of which are desirable and others which are not. They key in avoiding some of this is to have a discussion with your surgeon as to what is your desired outcome and tailor your operation to make as much of that happen as possible.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture.

+1

Without an exam, it is impossible to tell whether or not you have a capsular contracture. Women who develop capsular contracture once, are more likely to develop it again. Although surgery to correct capsular contracture can be up to 85% successful with capsule removal and a new implant, for women with recurrence it can be a frustrating (and expensive) complication. Today, there is an alternative to simply removing the capsule and hoping for the best - acellular dermal matrix (ADM). ADM is placed underneath the implant in the lower portion of the breast. The unique aspect is that capsule does not form where the ADM is placed thus reducing the incidence of capsular contracture significantly (in some cases to less than 1%). The downside is that these ADMs are very expensive to use and are generally used in cases of multiple recurrences of contracture.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon