Breast Augmentation, Worried About Being Too Big, How do I Ensure I'll be a Large C Cup?

i am having a breast augmentation in 2 weeks. i am getting silicone high profile subpectoral through the axilla. i breast fed one baby and am wearing a 36 B push up bra, i am 5'5'' and 132 pounds i am trying to decide between 400cc and 425cc. worried about being too big. i want to be a large C. any opinions

Choosing breast implants

+2

First, there is absoluteyl no difference in the result you'd get from a 400 vs a 425HP implant. None, so don't fret over that.  Just make sure that the "look" you want (no one can guarantee cup size) will be obtained from the HP style of implant.  Sounds like another visit with your doctor preop is in order.

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast sizing

+1

Thnaks for your question.  I do not think there is much differerence between 400 and 425 cc HP implant.  Secondly, cup sizing with bras and is not standardized.  If you are a middle B in any given brand and style of bra and add 400 cc--I think you could easily become a D in that exact brand and style of bra.  Most importantly you need to revisit with your surgeon pre-operatively.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Breast Augmentation Size

+1

I believe that you will be bigger than a full C-cup if you use a 400cc implant or larger.  You should discuss this with the surgeon who examines you.

David Stoker, MD

How to pick breast implants.

+1

Hi.  I hope you find this article helpful.

1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating room inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Proper sizing essential with breast augmentation

+1

Careful and precise sizing is essential in achieving your desired result from breast augmentation surgery. It is very difficult to use expected bra size to choose your implant volume because there is so much variation between manufacturers and perception about how a bra should fit. Instead, choose your implant volume based on how your breasts/body look during the sizing process.

There are several ways to size a patient for implants. The most common is to use implants placed in a sizing bra. A newer technique is 3D imaging. We have found this to be very precise, especially when dealing with asymmetries.

In your situation, the difference between 400cc and 425cc is negligable, less than a ounce. Your surgeon should be able to advise you as to which implant matches up best with your breast dimensions.

Good luck.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Picking implant size

+1
You should focus on the look you want and not on a specific cup size. Cup size can not be promised, because it depends on whose bra you wear (I.e. A "D" cup in Victoria Secret may be a "C" cup in Playtex). It's like your dresses, you probably don't wear the same size dress in every dress.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Choosing your implant size

+1

Communication with your plastic surgeon will be key to achieving the results you are looking for. Unfortunately, the use of words such as “I really want a natural look, nothing over-the-top” means different things to different people. In other words, what you consider to be natural may not be what your plastic surgeon considers to be natural looking.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
In my practice I use goal pictures to communicate with patients.  With this technique patients are able to demonstrate what they are trying to achieve and what type of looks they do not like as well. 
I also use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 

By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.