Considering Breast Augmentation. Will 400cc Implants Get Me My Desired Look and a D Cup? (photo)

i am considering a breast augmentation, i am 5,6 i weigh 110 pounds and i want to go to a d, i was considering 400cc high profile implants or maybe even more, how many cc will i need to achieve this

Petite girl and large breast implants

+4

I hate to be a buzz kill because I can tell that you are really excited to get a breast augmentation and excited to get large implants.

400cc high profile implants may look great for a few years but you will need to see a board-certified plastic surgeon to get measured and make sure. Large implants can give you problems later.

Here are some things you should consider:

1. As you get older, your breast skin will age, stretch and become thinner even without an implant.  The larger any breast, augmented or not, the worse it will look over time due to skin stretching.

2. Adding any implant to your breast adds weight and will produce stretch and irreversible thinning of your breast tissues over time.

3. The larger the implant, the greater the amount of breast tissue stretch that will occur.

4. Adding excess weight to the breast almost guarantees that it will look worse over time, with increased stretch and sagging.  It is impossible to predict whether or when this will occur in any individual patient.

5. Adding weight to your breast with a large implant may cause you to need further surgery in the future, particularly mastopexy (breast lift) with additional visible scars and risks.  You will incur additional costs, time off work, risks, and trade-offs if additional surgery is necessary.

6. Excessive breast tissue stretch from a large implant can make you more likely to have surgical complications with healing problems if the tissues become very thin.

7. As breast tissues thin, You will definitely be able to feel your implant and portions of the implant may be visible through your skin and visible rippling or wrinkling may occur.

8. If excessive stretch or complications occur (and this is unpredictable), it may even become necessary to remove the implants, with compromise in the appearance of your breasts and probable visible scarring if breast lifting (mastopexy) is necessary when the implants are removed.

If you do get a breast augmentation, I recommend something that would be in proportion with your petite frame.  I hope this helps.

Breast Implant Sizing

+4

Hello Ashton,

I am here to tell you that you are a disaster waiting to happen with a 400 cc implant.  You've got it all wrong (it's not your fault, your concept of breast augmentation is based on what most woman and many plastic surgeons will have you believe: that you can simply pick any cup size you want and get it, without any significant risk of complications).  Did you know that over 300,000 women had breast augmentation last year?  More importantly, did you also know that based on the most recent statistics submitted to the FDA that 25% of them will have an unplanned reoperation in 3 years due to complications, most of which are associated with improper implant size: capsular contracture, implant malposition, unpredicatable tissue stretch, severe rippling, symmastia, and double bubble.  Many of these problems are unpredicatable and occur in the 'best of hands', and if they occur are difficult or impossible to completely correct.

Unfortunately, there are all too many surgeons that will be willling to do that to you, so beware.  In the best case scenario with 400 cc implants, you will have a 100% risk of rippling within the first one to three months.  As time goes on (remember you and your implants will theoretically be together for a long time, right?), there is a high likelyhood untoward events will happen to your breasts.  Chances are stacked against you that you will need a second operation sooner than expected, putting you at a higher risk for a third operation.

By just looking at your photo of yourself, a properly sized implant will be closer to 200 than 400 cc.  However, by choosing this sized implant, you will decrease your risk of unplanned reoperation from 25% to 3%.  I hope you heed my advice and find a reputable surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

What is the "right" breast implant size for you?

+2

Ashton, there are a lot of great points in the previous answers to your question. There are two perspectives about what is the right size for you. The first perspective is based on your personal goal of a D cup. This is size alone without any regard for longevity of result or risk of complications. The other perspective is a mechanical one, based on your tissues. It considers what your body will support in the long term. It is easy when these two perspectives align and point at one size, but this is not always the case.

When you consider your priorities, what is most important to you: getting the size you want now or getting a long term result with fewer reoperations? Knowing what I know as a board certified plastic surgeon, the advice I would give my sister or wife would be to stick to an implant size that your body can handle in the long term.

I suggest that you see a board certified plastic surgeon who will measure you and analyze your tissues to see what implant size your body will tolerate. 

Michael Vennemeyer, MD

Michael Vennemeyer, MD
Southlake Plastic Surgeon

Implant Selection

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

400cc high profile implants for a thin & petite frame (5'6", 110lbs)

+1

Based on your photos, body measurements and description of the look you would like to achieve, 400cc high profile silicone implants certainly seem appropriate. A formal examination is, of course, needed to verify that your base width and breast envelope can accommodate a 400cc high profile prosthesis.

Now, this isn't to say that larger-than-average-sized implants don't add more risks to the equation - they do, especially when used in patients with inelastic skin (which Dr. Minniti and Dr. Wendel do a nice job covering). But a 400cc high profile prosthesis is not exceptionally large and your desire for D-cup breasts is not at all unreasonable.

Take for instance the case I've linked to below which features the use of 450cc high profile implants in a patient with a body type very similar to your own (re: 5'8", 120lbs vs 5'6", 110lbs). She's 3+ years post-op, complication free (re: no tissue stretch, implant rippling, symmastia and/or double bubble) and very happy about achieving the exact look she wanted.

Ultimately the greatest factor in successful long term breast augmentation is surgical judgment and technique, and if properly performed should easily be able to obtain your desired result.

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Breast size depends on chest circumference

+1

If you are a 34 or 36 size bra then each 200 cc's corresponds to 1 cup size change.  A 400 cc implant will take you up 2 sizes.  If you begin with a B then you will end up with a D.  High profile implants will not necessarily give you more projection particularly if your implants were placed retro-pectoral.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Choosing an implant size

+1

Breast implants are properly sized by matching the width of the implant to the inner width of your breast and choosing a forward profile to increase your breast by about one, 1 1/2, or 2 cup sizes from what you started with. If you start with the cc's and work backwards or try to use an implant that will not fit your tissues without distorting them you are a setup for an unnatural result and problems that could well end up posting a photo and asking how it can be corrected. Think of fitting an implant as more like fitting your foot in a shoe or your body in a dress. You can't start with a size choice and make it work if it doesn't fit you. Breast implants need to fit and give a predictable effect without problems or unexpected outcomes. If you want the relatively unnatural look as in the photos you show then you should choose a high profile implant that matches the width of your breast and go up two cup sizes. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Choosing breast implant size

+1

Breast implant choice can be a difficult decision because there is no way to standardize bra cup size. The amount of cc's that the implant has does not always translate into an accurate cup size.  There may be limitations of how large you can go based on your skin elasticity and rib cage dimensions.  Your plastic surgeon can give you a very close estimate of what breast implant will be best on your particular frame. I routinely use 3D imaging before surgery which allows the patient to visualize what they will look like with a certain size breast implant in place. If this is unavailable to you, you can try on some different sized implants in a bra at your surgeon's office to get a rough idea of what you may look like. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for more detailed information.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Breast implants

+1

The best implants for you will depend upon the exam.  I suggest a consutlation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your goals. You may very well be a good candidate for the  size you requested but an exam will determine if this is a viable option. 

Choosing implant size

+1

Hi Ashton,

It sounds and looks like you are about right with your choices.  The only thing I would add is to see you and talk to you as you try on a 400 cc implant.  You may need a little more to have the same size as the example photos.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon