Should I get a breast augmentation?

I am currently a 36D with my right breast slightly smaller than my left breast. I want my breast to be evened out and would like to go up a cup size (36DD) Should I get a breast augmentation? Also, I have no children and I am 20 years old. Will I be able to breastfeed my future children?

Options to treat breast asymmetry

+1
There are many options to treat breast asymmetry - the right one depends on the patient's goals and expectations from surgery as well as the physical examination.  Breast lift, breast reduction, implant augmentation and fat transfer augmentation or a combination of the above may be used.

Wants to go from D to DD

+1
Thank you for your inquiry about a breast augmentation.

You have several questions. First - asymmetric breasts. It depends on what is making the breasts uneven. Implants may minimize a small difference. Breast lifting or breast reduction may be needed to decrease large differences between breasts.

Should you get a breast augmentation. Research shows that after breast augmentation, most women can breast feed but fewer women can do so and are unable to breast feed as long, compared to women who have not had breast augmentations.So there are some changes.

You already have large breasts - a D cup is larger than normal in most cases. Yet you want to go bigger. A lot depends on your shape. If you are a small woman with large breasts, this might be too large for your frame. If you are overweight - losing weight first might be reasonable.

Finally - your age. You are an adult and you are definitely entitled to make these decisions. No question. But it is my experience that women up the age of about 22, are much more likely to have breast augmentations that they later regret than older women. This is because at your age, you are still developing as a human being -- what seems right for you now may not be so good for a slightly older 'you.'

Definitely get a face-to-face consultation with a plastic surgeon. But if you were my patient, I might recommend that you have surgery to correct the asymmetry if it is a significant difference. But postpone a breast augmentation a year or two. If you disagreed, I would probably do what you wanted but I wouldn't be surprised if 2 years later, you came back to have the implants removed. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Should I get a breast augmentation?

+1
There are different ways to address uneven breasts but since you are looking to go a little larger breast augmentation is a good option.  Be sure to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your surgical options.  During your consultation your surgeon will assess you and make recommendations as to the size, type and placement of the implant needed to give you the result you are looking to achieve. If you decide to get pregnant after your surgery breastfeeding should not be affected as most women can still breastfeed with no problems.  However, the breast may not retain the look they had prior to pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Frank Lista, MD

D to DD cup

+1
Without photos it is difficult to render an opinion. You are now a D cup. Yes you can be augmented larger but even though you have not had children with this size breast that you now have, you could have ptosis (drooping). If so, implants alone would not work because you could benefit from a lift. If you are planning children, you also need to be aware that your breasts could change with the pregnancy (get stretched) and lose shape. Breast feeding is not a problem with implants unless you were one of the rare people who lose nipple sensation. If this happens the insensate nipple will have more difficulty becoming erectile and make it more difficult for the baby to suckle. All these things should be discussed with your surgeon. 

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Breast Symmetry

+1
Thank you for your questions. Yes, augmenting your breasts using either breast implants or fat grafting (fat transfer) will give your breasts the symmetry you desire. Your milk ducts will not be disturbed during the augmentation process, therefore will not affect your ability to breast feed. Best Regards,

Rafi S. Bidros, MD, FACS

Breast Asymmetry

+1
There are a number of options for achieving breast symmetry.

1)  Augmentation of just one side is one option to help the smaller breast match the larger breast.

2) Augmentation of both breasts with different sized implants (lager implant for the smaller breast, and smaller implant for the larger breast) can also help achieve breast symmetry. The benefits of augmenting both sides would be having the increased volume you desire.  Because both breasts with have an implant, the breast will have a similar feel.

3) You could reduce the size of the larger breast with either liposuction or a breast reduction. The benefits of this option would be avoiding breast implants. The downside of liposuction would be that it could make the breast more droopy and the downside of a reduction would be visible scars on the breast.

Your best bet is to get a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate the extent of your asymmetry and give your options for implants to achieve your goals. Things that we, as plastic surgeons, look for during an examination are: differences in nipple position, differences in the amount of skin, differences in the position of the fold underneath the breast, and overall volume difference. Sometimes 3-D imaging can help quantify these differences more accurately. All of these differences are important factors because some of them can be changed with augmentation and some cannot.

As for breast feeding, a number of women are unable to breast feed even if they have never had breast surgery. Traditional breast augmentation should not change your ability to breast feed.

Kamakshi Zeidler, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry

+1
You should seek out a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and have a frank conversation regarding your goals. Your surgeon will complete a physical exam and then discuss the options to achieve the optimal result for you. Implants do not eliminate breast feeding but keep in mind that pregnancy can change the appearance of breasts after delivery. 

Jeffrey G. Copeland, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

+1
Hi there,

There are a number of potential options for you, of which a breast augmentation may be one. I would suggest you make an appointment with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area to have a full examination and discussion.
With regards to breast feeding, implants should not have any effect.

Cheers

Richard

Richard Bloom, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

+1
Without seeing you, it is impossible to determine whether you need a unilateral augment or not.  The augment can be different on the two sides to correct for asymmetry, assuming that an exam doesn't disclose any other issues such as an enlargement of the nipple-areolar complex which should be addressed.
Augmentation should not affect your ability to breast feed. However, not everyone is able to but it should not be attributed to the procedure.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Augmentation

+1
Roughly, you could,have an increase in size if you desire , also implants don't stop you from nursing. But you need to be seen to know what is right for you.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD