Breast Augmentation With a Family History of DCIS?

I have a family history of DCIS in both my mom and her sister. Is breast augmentation safe for me? I am a 32A, 5' 9" and 140lbs.

You should consider genetic testing

+1

You should consider genetic testing if you have a family history of DCIS. If you have implants, they will do extra mammographic views to see as much of the breast as possible. When combined with self-examination, breast cancer is not detected any later in breast implant patients than in patients without implants.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation with family history of breast cancer

+1

is certainly a consideration but a family history isn't as important as genetic testing.  If you are not a candidate for this, then you can proceed with your procedure.  To me, life is about living and if this will enhance your quality of life considerably, then go for it.  Yes, mammograms may be hindered by the implant but you can still appreciate masses on self exams.  The implants themselves will not cause diseases.

Curtis Wong, MD

Family history of DCIS and breast augmentation

+1

If you have a strong family history of DCIS, then it might be wise to get genetic testing.  Breast augmentation can be considered once all the information is obtained and you have discussed the risks with yoru breast surgeon and plastic surgeon.

Dcis in family is breast augmentation okay

+1

I believe you should discuss this with both your gynecologist who is following you, and the breast surgeon possibly as well who is following your mom and discuss the issue with them to get their input. You should have genetic testing, and mammograms,(ultrasound, MRI as well depending on your findings by mammogram). Dense breasts require the additional tests.

Once cleared by them, then a submuscular implant which covers about 70% of the implant can be performed. Radiologists will need to do an extra view during mammograms to totally visualize the breast tissue. Discussion as to how difficult the mammograms are to read will play a role as well in the decision making.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Family History of Breast Cancer and Breast Augmentation

+1

If you have not already had genetic tests, you should get them.  If you do not have any markers, you could consider breast augmentation, but your risk for developing breast cancer will be higher than the general population with or without the implants. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast augmentation and family history of breast cancer

+1

Early detection is of paramount importance in treating any type of cancer.  The question of whether or not breast augmentation interferes with detection has been exhustively studied.  There has been no association shown between breast implantation and interference of breast cancer detection.  That being said, one must consider that the implanst will definitely effect your mammography.  MRI and ultrasound are used more often as adjuncts in detection.  You must sit down with a general surgeon trained in breast cancer surgery for the best advice.

Gregory Diehl, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon