3.5 Weeks Post Breast Implants, and Developed a Ridge on the Side? (photo)

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op, silicone-under muscle-360cc. I am 94lbs. I noticed after about a week in ahalf that the right breast has like a ridge on the side. I did mention to my surgeon who is double board certified, and he didn't really explain to me what was going on, but that it was not serious.Maybe you can explain to me. I don't want my surgeon to think that I blame him, thank you so much here is a photo.

Ridge on side of breast implant after breast augmentation is likely a pocket asymmetry and should not impact your result

+1

Thank you for submitting your question and photograph. The area on your right breast that is concerning you is simply an area where the pocket was not dissected as far laterally as was the left side.I do not think it will affect your result.

3.5 Weeks Post Breast Implants, and Developed a Ridge on the Side?

+1

Yes I see the "ridge" on the right side in the lateral position. It could be swelling or a limited dissection. But at 3.5 weeks post op very early to be concerned. If after 3 months this has not improved than consider other therapies/. Now just wait and maybe exercise by pushing the implant laterally, if OK with your surgeon.  

Ridge in breast pocket after augmentation.

+1

Your surgeon created (almost symmetrical) pockets for each of your implants, but your chest wall, muscles, and measurements were not perfectly symmetrical prior to surgery. This natural asymmetry is normal for all patients (think heart on one side of your ribcage and not the other) and so is it absolutely normal for even the most technically precise surgeon to be unable to create absoolutely identical breast pockets for your implants.

Sometimes we do better than others, and most times we are actually surprisingly amazing at what should by rights ALWAYS be somewhat different on one side versus the other!

And sometimes we have tissues that have a bit more taut attachment, slightly more bleeding (and subsequent scar tissue), or just look round in the operating room but end up being slightly or visibly "off" a bit when out patient is upright and healing.

The good news for you is that your body will naturally seek to heal your capsule in a progressively more round appearance (scars contract), reducing or even eliminating this flattened ridge over time. This may be further enhanced by implant movement exercises (if your surgeon recommends them--I do, but not every PS does) that can stretch and round-out this irregularity as your capsule softens and matures.

In the vast majority of cases like yours, this appearance can be expected to improve and perhaps completely normalize over time. Every patient is different, so timing and extent of improvement is too. Be patient with yourself and your surgeon. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Edge of implant

+1

At 3.5 weeks after a breast augmenation it is too early to worry about that. More than likely as things settle and the tissue softens, the shape will be better.

Ridges and edges after silicone breast implants

+1

If you are quite thin and have little breast tissue to cover, you can see and feel edges even on a silicone gel breast imlant especially on the lower or outer edge. Your photo shows an area where the pocket is not smooth. You can blame your surgeon as we all are responsible for our work. It is early though and for most the pocket will smooth out on its own over time.

Ridge on side of breast after surgery

+1

3.5 weeks is really too early to scrutinize your results.  You are in the early post op phase of healing and need to give your body more time to heal.  The things that you notice may well resolve with time, but remember that breast implants are very good medical devices, but are not perfect...your breasts may always have some mild asymmetry.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon