Options For Uneven Breasts 2 Years Post-Op?

I Had my Breast Augmentation About 2 Years Ago.  Recently It Seems As if my Right Breast is Sitting Higher Than my Left.   I met with my PS and he said it is due to my chest muscle being thicker on that side. He said i should try massaging it to see if it will help it drop. Does this sound right or do I need a second opinion?

Breast Augmentation Asymmetry

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

If your breasts were indeed symmetric for the better part of two years and have recently become asymmetric, it is unlikely to be a "muscle thickness" phenomena.   More likely would be the development of a capsular contracture. Without photographs and/or a formal examination it is difficult to make that determination with any degree of certainty.  I would recommend you seek a second opinion by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Breast asymmetry

+2

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that massage will be helpful at this point (unless you are developing encapsulation). As you described the change in your breasts as  “recent”, it may be that you are developing encapsulation. This may be why massage was recommended. There are medications that may be helpful if this is the case.

It may give you peace of mind to seek a 2nd opinion.  Make sure you seek consultation with a well experienced/board-certified plastic surgeon.

Breast asymmetry two years after surgery

+2

If your breasts were initially symmetrical and have only recently changed, it is unlikely that "muscle thickness" is the cause.  If the implant on one side is raised higher and slightly more firm, you probably have developed capsular contracture on that side.  Capsular contracture occurs when the normal capsule your body forms around the breast implant begins to tighten and distort the implant.  Massage will not help this issue.  Usually, surgical intervention is needed.  I would recommend getting another opinion with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry with one breast progressively higher

+2

If one breast implant is starting to ride higher 2 years after your augmentation you may be getting a capsule contracture.  When this happens the capsule becomes thicker and thighter, usually resulting in the implant on that side being pushed higher.

I would get a second and third opinion.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

+2

Photos PLEASE! You did not notice the asymmetry for 2 years? Please post more info, but a think you need an in person second opinion. 

Uneven Breasts After Augmentation

+2

After two years, massage of the breasts is unlikely to make a difference in the management of a breast implant being too high. The question is whether this has always been the case (since surgery) or has this developed more recently. This is helpful in understanding what has gone wrong and how best to treat it. Looking at photographs of your recovery can be helpful. The management of this usually involves opening the capsule to allow for the implant to sit in its proper, more symmetric location.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Asymmetry of breast implants

+2

I believe that you need another opinion.  The most likely explanation for a change in symmetry several months or years post-operatively is capsular contracture.  It is not likely to improve with massage and it is not likely due to a difference in thickness of the pectoralis muscle.  If you do have a contracture, the breast with the contracture should be firmer than the other breast.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Get a second opinion

+2

Sounds like you can massage till the cows come home and nothing will change. You should get a second opinion. I doubt the asymmetry will go away by itself.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Unfortunately, massage will not help breast asymmetry.

+1

Hi.

I don't know why one breast is higher.  The most common causes are surgical technique (one implant was placed higher), or capsular contracture.  In a sense, it does not matter.  It does sound like you will need a revision, but the good news is that this can be corrected.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Implant still higher after two years

+1

If one implant remains higher than the other and your breast appears asymmetric breast massage is unlikely to help you at this point in time. Thicker muscle on one side? probably incomplete release and higher pocket on one side and a revision of the pocket should bring the higher implant down to where it belongs.

peterejohnsonmd