Should I Be Concerned, Breast Augmentation a Year Ago and One Breast is Still Numb and Did Not Fall Like the Other?

Should I be concerned if one breast is still numb and did not fall like the other following augmentation?

+1

Dear Amy,

I would say that the answer to your question is - 'are you concerned that the breast has not dropped and is still numb'?  If you are not concerned, then don't let anyone make you concerned!

If you are concerned - there is not a lot that can be done about the numbness, although there is a chance there may still be some recovery.  With regard to the asymmetry, you should consult your plastic surgeon to see if a revision is needed.  As a rule, I try to put patients off having too many operations on their breast if they can avoid it, so unless it really bothers you, it may be best to leave it.  Good luck.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry following breast augmentation

+1

Failure of one implant to settle like the other may be the result of pre-operative asymmetry, scar capsule formation, or inadequate release of the pectoralis muscle (if the implant was placed beneath the muscle).  If you have noted any gradual improvement in sensation, it may continue to get better - if your sensation has not improved since surgery, the decrease may be permanent.  I would recommend that you follow-up with your plastic surgeon, so that the cause of your asymmetry can be determined, and you can be advised regarding the best options for correction.

Good luck.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You should continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and maintain your doctor patient relationship.

Craig S. Rock, MD

Implant issues

+1

It sounds like you may have a capsular contracture that may require release of the pocket to allow the implant to come down.  As for the numbness, this may be permanent.

Breast asymmetry after breast augmentation

+1

Sounds like you may have capsular contracture on the side that has yet to fall; the scar tissue may be holding the implant in a higher position. I recommend seeing your plastic surgeon for a complete examination. If this is the case, you may need surgery to correct the irregular contour.  As far as the numbness is concerned, it may not recover much more if it's been one year since surgery.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD