Would Breast Augmentation Be Worth It if I Just Want a More Natural, Less Tuberous Shape to my Breasts?

I'm 20 and I believe I have tuberous breasts, I don't want huge breasts, just less conical and more filled out at the base. I also have Von Willebrand's Disease, it is a bruising and bleeding disorder similar to Hemophilia, since breast augmentation on tuberous breasts requires more work, would this procedure be too dangerous for me? Does it typically cost more to do this type of surgery? What are my options.

Tuberous breasts?

+1
A tubular breast can take on several different forms, in some cases even varying greatly between a single patient’s two breasts. Regardless of these variations, tubular breasts are classified by several features. These include the breast protruding into the areola, large, possibly deformed nipples and/or areola complex, an abnormally short distance between the areola and the breast fold or misshapen, under developed breasts with a constricted base. A dark ring around the areola may also exist. It appears that you may have a mild form of tuberous breasts. Surgery can correct this however if you want more volume, implants would be necessary. Tuberous breast correction and augmentation would be a little more than augmentation alone.

Von Willebrand's and Cosmetic Surgery

+1
Hello
We have successfully performed procedures like breast augmentation, liposuction and rhinoplasty in patients with von Willebrand's disease.  A complete evaluation by a hematologist is a pre requisite, and we store special medications in case they are needed. Tuberous breast correction is one of the most satisfying procedures we do.  Make sure to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon and view photos of patients with tuberous breasts.  Best of luck. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Implants for tuberous breast

+1

Your breast are not truly tuberous breast, but there is some "herniation" of the breast tissue into the areolar causing some puffiness, which you may find unattractive.  A small implant may help make this appear more proportionate, but generally implants make the breast look the same but just larger. However, with an excision of a ring of areolar at the outer edge of the areolar would make a areolar smaller, flatter, and a substantial improvement in the appearance, and the scars are usually minimally noticeable. This could early be done in combination with insertion of implants.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast repair

+1

The amount of risk in correctly repairing tubular breasts vs normal breasts is not different.  Tuberous breast repairs are commonly scar ridden flat and unnatural looking.  The good news is that I have developed a specific technique to create natural appearing breasts with hidden scars for this type of breast shape. The procedure involves a special subfascial placement of silicone implants and a special nipple lift and areolar reduction with a hidden scar.  The results are very natural appearing. 

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Tuerous Deformity

+1

Correcting your deformity involves surgery similar to placing an implant and performing a circumareolar breast lift.  I have done this surgery and many others on Von Willebrand's patients with the involvement of a hematologist.  Proper dosing and timing of DDAVP should make this surgery safe for you but I would consult with your hematologist first.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Fixing Tuberous Breasts

+1

There are a lot of answers to this question already, but I though I would try to answer in a really easy to understand way. Your breasts are not too bad when it comes to tuberous breasts. Usually tuberous breasts are narrow and long. They can be a little saggy as well. The areola on a tuberous breast sometimes sticks out. In your case, you have small breasts that are not really narrow nor do they hang down. You do have puffy areolae which plastic surgeons would call, "herniated". In your case, you would likely do well with a breast augmentation but may need to have something done to make the areolae look better. Sometimes tightening the areolae can make a BIG difference in how good the result looks. This would involve a thin subtle scar around the edge of your areola.

As for your Von Willebrand's Disease, you can still have the surgery very safely. It would be a good idea to coordinate with your hematologist because there are some things that might help right before surgery.

I hope this info helps!

Adam Rubinstein, MD

Tuberous breast

+1

Your degree of tuberous breast is minimal.Obviously your von willebrands disease needs to be addressed as to what type you have.I would think the best thing to do we be to see a hematologist to determine how an augmenattion could be done safely but I think they could be done at the same time.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic surgery and bleeding disorders

+1

If you're factor VIII clotting factor is increased by injection to 80% or more of normal and maintained at that level for a week or 2 after surgery your risk for surgery is no different than anyone who does not have a bleeding disorder. It should be a non-issue with the input of a hematologist.

The question is what do to get a symmetric result you are happy with. Unfortunately your posted photos are not helpful because there appears to be some asymmetry with the left breast larger than the right and the folds under the breasts at different levels. The limited bracketing of the photos and the possibility of distortion by raising your arms makes it hard to assess your current condition.

You need to see a plastic surgery face to face and make sure the asymmetries are identified with their correction planned for before you proceed with any type of surgery.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Transaxillary Approach

+1

An augmentation through an armpit incision is a procedure we have commonly performed in a variety of degrees of tuberous (constricted) breasts. From your photos, you have some slight herniation of the areola and excellent shape and dimension to your breast mound. A submuscular augmentation should yield a very pretty result.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Tubular breast deformity and correction.

+1

I would agree that you have a form of tuberous breast deformity based on your photos. To correct this deformity, the fold is lowered, the gland is released from the areola, and often an implant is placed to balance the symmetry with the often unaffected or less affected contralateral breast. Placing an implant does not have to mean "huge breasts." The operation is not as straightforward as an augmentation, and in some instances is covered by insurance. As for the Von Willebrand's disease, the necessity for platelet transfusion during surgery depends upon the type and severity of Von Willebrand's disease (qualitative/quantitative, etc.). Your hematologist should work with your surgeon to advise on whether transfusion is necessary. The surgery is not considered dangerous, but be aware that corrective surgeries for tuberous breast often need revisions. 

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon