Breast Augmentation With Or Without Breast Lift? (photo)

I've been to a few consultations already, but I've gotten differing opinions on whether I need a Breast Lift or Not. One PS says I would get better results with a BA (below the muscle) + BL ("Benelli" Lift). Another says I don't NEED to get a BL since I'm young (I'm 28). He also said getting a BA (also below the muscle) would be enough to get me back to my pre-pregnancy (Full C Cup) look without all the scarring (saying he would use the "Anchor" Lift on me). Any thoughts? Thanks for you time.

You would likely benefit from a Benellit style lift at the time of implant placement.

+1

You would likely benefit from a Benellit style lift at the time of implant placement, but it is optional.  It depends on whether you want to live with the associated scar or not.

Breast lift

+1

Your photos show that you are borderline as far as whether you need a lift or just implants.  I would ideally recommend the lift and feel it could be done with a lollipop scar as opposed to the full anchor scar as well as implants.  I can certainly understand your reluctance to have the scars given your age.  Also, women who are married and have already had children n are more likely to accept e scars resulting from a lift.  I recommend you avoid the Benelli lift. It will not provide the lift you need and often stretches out the areola.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast Augmentation alone or with breast lift

+1

Your pictures are very helpful, but there is no substitute for an accurate physical exam.    From your pictures it appears that your breasts have significant degrees of settling or ptosis and that the best result will be a combination of an augmentation with a lift.  The Benelli lift allows the surgeon to adjust for differences in the breast skin and nipple position between the two sides and would probably be a good choice for you.  It is very important that you find a surgeon who is very experienced with this procedure as there are technical details that must be carried out with precision in order to obtain the best possible result.  In general Benelli lifts work best if the surgeon doe not try to force too large an implant into the breast.  Certainly this type of lift is not for every breast.  If there is major settling of the breasts or if you desire a very powerful lift variants on the vertical breast lift technique will provide a better solution.  As always, clear communication between the patient and the surgeon about the goals of the procedure is essential.

John Q. Cook, MD

Breast Augmentation with or without Lift

+1

Your age ('I'm young'), or the amount of scarring you may or may not incur with a breast lift should not be a determinant of its necessity or appropriateness. Although it's true that you'll get many different opinions from many different doctors (including the ones here), the reality is that there are just a few, easily identifiable anatomic findings on physical exam that will dictate the need for a breast lift.  This really shouldn't be a matter of opinion.

Based on the limited information from your photographs, there is a suggestion that your fold is high, and a significant amount of breast is hanging (contrary to some of the other doctors' assessments on this site).  This is never a good situation for breast augmentation alone, and it is too much sagging for a Benelli lift to manage well too.  A full breast lift would be most appropriate to achieve a natural and normal looking breast.

My practice is heavily weighted toward breast surgery, much of which is revision surgery; it is more difficult and costly to get a great result if the wrong surgery was performed and a second surgery is required. I tell my patients that if they are uncertain about having a breast lift, don't have any surgery.

You would do well for yourself to see surgeons that specialize in, and have great reputations in breast surgery, not just breast augmentation.  Certification by the ABPS and membership in the ASAPS is the minimum but important requirement as well.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast lift question

+1

Your pictures are a big help. Your particular breast anatomy shows that your nipple is at the level of your breast fold but you do have a larger amount of breast tissue below the nipple which is called glandular ptosis. The concern is that after just augmentation that you may have a double bubble where the implant too high and breast tissue falling off the implant. Since you do not want much larger breasts I would probable sugest a staged procedure of dual plane augmentation first the wait 3-4 months and see if you are happy with result. If not the second procedure a small lift. I hope this helps Good luck with your plastic surgery and please see a board certified doctor

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation with or without a lift

+1

Different plastic surgeons will offer different things. Based upon your photos, you may be OK with just a circumareola lift and implants, I do them all the time.  An exam in person is key.

Breast Augmentation with or without Lift (Mastopexy)

+1

You have somewhat deflated and asymmetric breasts (as do the vast majority of the women after having children). Since you decided you want larger breasts (ie Breast Augmentation), you should focus on picking the implants which best fit your frame and your long term goals. Instead of literally stuffing your breadsts with huge implants which WILL weigh your breasts down as well as thin the breast tissue over the implants and thin the breast skin, you should pick the implants your current breast tissue will cover - thereby making them much more attractive and appearing natural and nonsurgical.  Your decision can be helped immensely if your surgeon used digital breast imaging VIRTUAL BREAST AUGMENTATION , such as the VECTRA 3D by Canfield, with which he can pretty much show you how you may look with each breast implant on the US  market.

Once the breast Augmentation is completed, depending on the fill of the breast you may have a minimal lift (such as a Periareolar Mastopexy) or may benefit from a Lollipop Lift. It all depends on how your augmented breasts look as the position of the nipples on the augmented breasts.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN

Breast Augmentation With Or Without Breast Lift?

+1

Great series of posted photos That's how to post! Based only on the photos and still unsure of your desires without an in person evaluation I would stage the operations. Implants first wait 3 months and under local do donut lift IF NEEDED! 

To lift or not to lift

+1
I agree that a combined augment/lift would produce the best results in your case. This is best understood by looking at the side views of the breasts which are very low on the chest. While an augment alone may add volume, the increased volume would not, by itself, lift the breasts enough to achieve a good result or restore your pre pregnancy shape.

Robert L. Kraft, MD