Can I Have a Breast Augmentation While I Have a UTI?

I had a UTI and went through a course of cipro. Today, (six days after finishing the antibiotics) I began feeling mild symptoms again. I have a breast augmentation scheduled two days from now. Will I still be able to proceed with surgery? If so, should I begin the second round of antibiotics immediately or wait until after my surgery?

UTI - Implants

You should not take the risk. Remember that this is an elective surgery and you should decrease any potential complications. Having a focus of infection elsewhere in the body as we put your implants is not a good idea.

Ask your surgeon

You may have to reschedule your surgery, but ask your surgeon first. UTI can increase the risk of infection in another part of your body.

UTI

You should call your surgeon and ask him. Most of us would prefer not to place implants if there is a chance the patient has a UTI

Reschedule

You should contact your plastic surgeon and let the office know about this.  I would reschedule your operation for another time.  This is an elective procedure and when this type of operation is performed when there is an infection somewhere in the body there is a higher chance of an infection developing at the site of surgery.  An infection around the implant ususally means the implant has to come out.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants with UTI

You should try to eliminate any chance of bacteria in your bloodstream before having implant surgery in case the bacteria gets on the implant, and you have to remove the implant to get rid of the infection.  

Dan Mills, MD

Breast augmentation in the face of an infection? reschedule

Although it does not happen very often, any infection in the body has the possibility of spreading through the blood stream to the soft tissues around the implant..  This is true of breast implants, orthopedic devices, heart valves and any medical device that is used in the body.  An infection surrounding an implant is extremely difficult to clear unless the implant is taken out.  You should not risk proceding with breast implant surgery while you are fighting a bacterial infection. 

Mary Lee Peters, MD

UTI and surgery

If you have a UTI, you can take anitbiotices and if it clears up you can go ahead with surgery. Otherwise you should wait.

No breast implants with an active infection

If you have a UTI you should wait to place implants.  My suspicion is your diagnosis of a UTI.  Why are you getting such frequent or recurring UTI's?  Is the right antibiotic being used?  Did you have a urine culture done?  What does your current urinalysis show?

Discuss this with your primary care physician and find out what is going on.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

UTI and breast augmentation

I would certainly recommend waiting until your UTI is under control prior to proceeding with a breast augmentation.  There is a small risk of getting an infection around the implant if you have an infection elsewhere in the body.  I would wait at least a week after you have finished a course of antibiotics and remain as symptomatic for a week.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

You should be on the phone to your surgeon asking him this question. I would be very surprised if he allowed you to have the surgery with a symnptomatic infection. I wouldn't.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD