Can I Have a Breast Augmentation While I Have a UTI?

I had a UTI and went through a course of cipro. Today, (six days after finishing the antibiotics) I began feeling mild symptoms again. I have a breast augmentation scheduled two days from now. Will I still be able to proceed with surgery? If so, should I begin the second round of antibiotics immediately or wait until after my surgery?

UTI

+1

You should call your surgeon and ask him. Most of us would prefer not to place implants if there is a chance the patient has a UTI

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Reschedule

+1

You should contact your plastic surgeon and let the office know about this.  I would reschedule your operation for another time.  This is an elective procedure and when this type of operation is performed when there is an infection somewhere in the body there is a higher chance of an infection developing at the site of surgery.  An infection around the implant ususally means the implant has to come out.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants with UTI

+1

You should try to eliminate any chance of bacteria in your bloodstream before having implant surgery in case the bacteria gets on the implant, and you have to remove the implant to get rid of the infection.  

Dan Mills, MD

Breast augmentation in the face of an infection? reschedule

+1

Although it does not happen very often, any infection in the body has the possibility of spreading through the blood stream to the soft tissues around the implant..  This is true of breast implants, orthopedic devices, heart valves and any medical device that is used in the body.  An infection surrounding an implant is extremely difficult to clear unless the implant is taken out.  You should not risk proceding with breast implant surgery while you are fighting a bacterial infection. 

Mary Lee Peters, MD

UTI and surgery

+1

If you have a UTI, you can take anitbiotices and if it clears up you can go ahead with surgery. Otherwise you should wait.

No breast implants with an active infection

+1

If you have a UTI you should wait to place implants.  My suspicion is your diagnosis of a UTI.  Why are you getting such frequent or recurring UTI's?  Is the right antibiotic being used?  Did you have a urine culture done?  What does your current urinalysis show?

Discuss this with your primary care physician and find out what is going on.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

UTI and breast augmentation

+1

I would certainly recommend waiting until your UTI is under control prior to proceeding with a breast augmentation.  There is a small risk of getting an infection around the implant if you have an infection elsewhere in the body.  I would wait at least a week after you have finished a course of antibiotics and remain as symptomatic for a week.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

+1

You should be on the phone to your surgeon asking him this question. I would be very surprised if he allowed you to have the surgery with a symnptomatic infection. I wouldn't.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast augmentation

+1
No.  Conditions should be perfect to get implants.

In breast augmentation I have chosen to spend time reviewing photographs with patients to fully understand their expectation of size and shape. Many times this simply raises more questions. I will make measurements and use the implant guides to allow the patient to understand exactly the sizes that are reasonable for their body type and measurements.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

UTI and breast surgery

+1

Reschedule your surgery.  It's always a bad idea to perform elective surgery when there is infection elsewhere in the body.  Get your UTI cleared up first.

Thomas Fiala, MD