Breast Augmentation while there's still milk in my breast?

I have had everything tested but i still have milk in my breast for over 15 years. I am wanting breast augmentation done , is it possible with milk in them .? I have had every test done an they dont know why I have milk. ]

Breast Augmentation and milk production

+1
Your situation is uncommon. I would make sure that you had evaluation by an endocrinologist and had routine breast imaging such as your mammogram. If you have truly had a complete work-up and are given clearance by your other physician's I would make sure that the plastic surgeon who performs the breast augmentation avoid making a incision around your nipple to avoid the breast ducts that can contain the milk. Take Care.

Reno Plastic Surgeon

Lactating and breast augmentation

+1
Wisdom27-

I would hold off on having a breast augmentation while you are lactating. The risk of increased complications is not worth it. I would recommend you see an endocrinologist or get a second opinion from another endocrinologist on why you continue to produce milk. Good luck

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breast aug

+1
I would suggest for you to wait until you have clearance from your endocrinologist, this is not a normal thing to happen after so much time after, the normal time varies but it's in months and not years.

Dr. Campos 

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast milk

+1
This is a very rare circumstance.  Typically women are only months out from stopping breast feeding an still producing milk.  In those cases you should wait for a breast augmentation.  If you have seen an endocrinologist and they have approved it then you can proceed.  Although I would recommend against any incision around the nipple.

Chad K. Wheeler, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Milk discharge during breast augmentation

+1
I see a number of patients who can express a small amount of fluid from their nipple. i.e. just a drop or 2 and I don't think that is an issue with surgery. I put a plastic patch over the nipple and avoid the aerolar  incision in these patients. Consult with a boad certified surgeon about this issue. 

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Breast augment in lactating patient

+1
I would want a full endocrinologist's work up and clearance before elective breast augmentation.  There should always be a medical explanation for lactating 15 years after giving birth.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Can I have a breast augmentation with milk in my breasts?

+1
Thanks so much for your question.  The short answer is Yes!  I would caution you from doing aggressive breast massage following the procedure.  I did have one patient who was in a similar situation and massaged aggressively post-operatively.  She actually had some milk escape through her incisions for a short period of time.  When she stopped massaging everything returned to normal.  Good luck.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement

+1
A lot of women have sporadic nipple discharge, as long as the breast surgeon says its benign it is ok to have breast augmentation

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Breast augmentation and still lactating

+1
This really depends on the extent of lactation or milk expression that you currently have. if it is a substantial amount then breast augmentation shoiuld be deferred until this can be controlled or stopped. Endocrinologists can prescribe medications that often help cease milk production if an abnormality can be found. If it is only a minimal amount of milk then I think that breast augmentation can be performed without a significant problem.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon