Can I have breast augmentation while on 81mg of asprin?

At the age of 37 I had 3 cardiac drug eluting stents placed. Now at the age of 45 I would like to have 325cc breast implants placed. My cardiologist has said yes to come off plavix 1week before surgery but I have to stay on 81 mg of aspirin. I am waiting to hear back from plastic surgeon if he will do the surgery on the aspirin. What do you think. To risky? Would drains help prevent a hematoma?

Aspirin and surgery

+2
In the ideal world, you should be off of all anticoagulants for 7 days prep. That being said, with meticulous hemostasis, drain placement, and prep cardiology clearance I suspect that you will be fine.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation While on Aspirin

+2

There are several areas to comment on your situation: (1) being on aspirin should not be a problem with good technique i.e. no blunt dissection (2) drains will not prevent a hematoma and (3) fitness for surgery. I would ask your cardiologist about risk stratification and let your plastic surgeon know about ANY cardiac history.

Matthew Becker, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Aspirin and surgery

+2

ideally you should be off all anticoagulants. Plavix isn't an option but low dose aspirin with a drain and meticulous hemostasis may be possible. Ask your ps what their comfort level is

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation while on aspirin

+2

I personally would not operate on a patient who is on aspirin under the circumstances you present. This is an elective surgery and you would be at higher risk for hematoma. Drains are not the issue. Even if a patient wants to assume risks, it is the responsibility of the plastic surgeon and the anesthesiologist to determine whether they are comfortable operating given the patient's medical condition.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast augmentation on aspirin

+2

I definitely agree with stopping Plavix before surgery. Being on 81 mg of aspirin or baby aspirin may induce additional bruising, however, with meticulous hemostasis or control of bleeding in the operating room you would likely be able to proceed with breast augmentation. This is a question best answered by your plastic surgeon who may have had experience with patients on aspirin.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

I Prefer Patients Off Aspirin 10 Days Before Breast Augmentation

+2

Thank you for your question. You must ask your plastic surgeon for advice on taking aspirin prior to a breast augmentation. Only your surgeon can give you appropriated advice as to what the surgeon is comfortable with.

personally I recommend to my patients be off all aspirin-containing products, no matter what does at least 10 days prior to breast augmentation surgery.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Can you have a Breast Augmentation while being on 81 mg of Aspirin

+1

It is best to stop Aspirin 10 days prior to your Breast Augmentation Surgery. Any risk of bleeding will increase the risk of short term and long term complications such as a blood clot( hematoma), Infection and Capsular Contracture.

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon