Breast Augmentation Vs. Breast Lift, Which Would be Best for me? (photo)

I am a 51 year old mother of one, looking to do a breast augmentation or a breast lift. I go back and forth on which one to do and what will give me the best results. I am hoping that one of the doctors on here can look at my attached pictures and let me know what they think is best for me. I haven't seen a surgeon yet and would like to have more info on the benefits of each before I do. I'm not looking for a bigger bust per se, just better looking breasts.

Breast Augmentation vs. Breast Lift-Breast Augmentation will Imrove Your Breasts with Less Scarring

+2

Thank you for your question. Opinions will vary greatly among Plastic Surgeons on Breast Lift vs. Breast Augmentation.

You do not have severe Ptosis or Breast Sag and Breast Augmentation or Implant will fill your breast and improve the shape and the scar can be hidden beneath the Breast.

A Breast Lift will raise your nipple position but the breast will still not be firm and most patients with your Breast shape who have a lift also want a small implant.

The Breast Lift will cause scarring around the Areola and is a more complex procedure. I would suggest a Breast Augmentation using the Dual Plane Method to encourage a slight lifting action. If you decide later you want a higher Nipple position a lift can always be done.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/boston-breast-implants/breast-implants-under-or-over-the-muscle-which-is-best-for-you/

Breast Augmentation vs Breast Lift of Both

+1
If you have mild sagging and want a small lift effect and have a moderate amount of breast tissue then I would recommend a subglandular placement (above the muscle). That way your breast tissue will be supported and lifted to a limited amount. Other techniques some surgeons use is to slightly lower your crease which gives the illusion that your nipple is in a higher position. See below links for more infomation.

Web reference: https://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/procedures/breast/augmentation/, https://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/procedures/brea

Breast Augmentation or Breast Lift

+1

Thank you for your question. You have to decide what you would like.  A lift alone is only going to move the nipple areolar positon higher and do little to add volume and shape to the upper pole of your breast (upper half of your breast). 

A small implant and periareolar lift would give you better shape and lift the NAC to the appropriate position. 

A physical exam and consult with a board certified plastic surgeon will help guide you to what ultimately is the best choice for you. 

Dr. Brian Joseph

Breast Lift vs. Breast Augmentation and Lift

+1

Ultimately this is your decision. You have to decide if you are happy with your breast size or want larger breasts. If you are happy with your breast size, then a breast lift will offer you an improved breast shape. If you desire larger breasts, or more volume in the upper pole, then a breast augmentation and breast lift will be necessary.

A breast lift will provide more central positioning of the nipple-areolar complex (NAC) and improve breast shape and forward projection by tightening the inferior pole; the mild asymmetry of the NAC position can be corrected as well.

A breast augmentation will increase your breast size, improve upper pole fullness, and could be used to balance breast volume. It is important to understand that an augmentation alone will not improve the position of the NAC or provide any positive shape changes other than increased breast volume. Surgeons may have different preferences/reasons for a subglandular or subpectoral augmentation, and how that might influence the type of lift they perform. Without a lift, your breast tissue will hang off the anterior implant (especially with a subpectoral implant position) and this will be undesirable. Subglandular augmentations have a higher risk of capsular contracture, and my preference is for a subpectoral implant position even though that makes the lift a bit more difficult.

A combined augmentation and lift is a more technically difficult operation, in terms of planning and execution, because you are trying to do opposite things to the breast at the same time. Even in an experienced surgeon’s hands, revision rates are higher than they would be for either operation alone.

Speaking with more than one surgeon may be helpful so you find a relationship you are comfortable with.
Best wishes, Ken Dembny

Web reference: http://www.drdembny.com

Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation vs. Breast Lift

+1

Breast augmentation alone would not be optimal for you because your nipples will be too low.  Your best option is a breast lift with or without an implant.

Lift or augmentation?

+1

From your photos, and the fact that you are not really interested in larger breasts, I would recommend a lift without implants,  This should give you better shape as well as symmetry.  If, at a later date, you should wish more fullness or a larger cup size, augmentation could be done then.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Implants or Lift.......?

+1

I would definitely recommend a lift to improve your shape and minimize your drooping. I always tell my patients that no one needs implants. However, it also appears as though your Left breast is a little more droopy and maybe slightly smaller than your right.  If this is the case, I would recommend a small implant on the left to correct the volume asymmetry.   You always have the option of placing implants on both sides if you want your breasts larger, but there is no way to have implants inserted to improve your shape without increasing your volume.  I would not recommend getting implants without a lift in your case due to the amount of drooping. 
Good Luck!
Dr M

Web reference: http://www.DiscoverTheBeauty.com

Do I need a breast lift or implants?

+1

The plan for surgery is always best made at the time of examination. Judging from the photos it appears that you would benefirt from a breast lift with the incision restricted to the areola. You should probabbly also have implants inserted simultaneously to ptovide some filling, especially of the upper pole. You should consult with 1 or more Board Certified plastic surgeons to best determine the plan for surgery. Good luck!

Web reference: http://drlefkovits.com

Breast Lift or just implants?

+1

It is very difficult to tell from your pictures as the angle that the picture is taken from is not consistent. Your surgery should be based on the desired result, Implants do an excellent job of filling but not lifting, Breast lifts do an excellent job of lifting but not filling, if you combine them you get the best of both worlds but it is a difficult surgery and must be performed by an expienced breast surgeon. Hope that helps.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Lift or augmentation

+1
as you are not looking to be much larger keep it simple and do just a lift. as someone has already suggested, if you do an augmentation you will definitely need a lift along with it increasing the cost. again, keep it simple.
Paramus Plastic Surgeon