Breast Augmentation or Tummy Tuck First?

If you had a patient who, due to finances, would have to have her Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck done separately, which would you recommend she do first?

Tummy tuck first, breast augmentation second

+2

There is no real difference which procedure is performed first, however, if I absolutely had to chose one before the other I would recommend the tummy tuck first.  My opinion is based on several factors including the fact that as the abdominal skin is pulled down some of the skin near the breast fold is also pulled slightly down with it as well.  This will change the exact location of your breast fold incision if done if reverse so it may be better to get the tummy tuck performed first.

Dr Remus Repta

Which first? TT or breast aug

+2

Dear Jen,

I would recommend you do the procedure you most desire. Breast augmentation surgery is the easiest to recover from, get instant gratification and is less expensive. It may even encourage you to jump start a new lifestyle change to help you improve your tummy.

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

It does not matter which procedure is performed first. Either order is acceptable.

+2

It does not matter which procedure is performed first.  Either order is acceptable.  To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck or breast augmentation; which is first?

+2

Dear Jen,

Medically, both surgeries could be performed at the same time. But if finances are to be considered, I encourage my patients to consider the one that is of a more urgent nature.

If both are of the same importance, then performing the tummy tuck first will enable the patient to have a better decision on the size of the breast implant.

Financially when you combine both surgeries, you will usually pay the surgical facility's fees one time, and depending on the surgeon, you may benefit from combining both surgeries for a certain discount.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation or tummy tuck first

+2

If finances are an issue, you may want to hold out to do both at the same time. The facility fee will only be paid once, and doing both together many surgeons offer a discount for the second procedure.  Good luck.

Breast Aug or Tummy Tuck First?

+2

I do not think that it will matter which is done first, in terms of long term aesthetics, safety, or end results. I would suggest choosing the procedure that you would want to have done if you could only do one procedure. That should give you an idea of which you think is more important. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Which order?

+2

It is clearly your decision-however most patients feel that breast augmentation is  an "easier recovery". Both procedures have their own issues and recovery milestones, but in general a breast augmentation is less invasive and as such perceive less discomfort. Therefore, you may opt for the procedure that gives you less  discomfort as your first choice.

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Staging breast augmentation and tummy tuck

+2
This is, of course, a matter of personal preference and without photos, it is impossible to express an opinion as to which condition is more pressing. Typically, I prefer to perform the tummy tuck first The reasoning is that, once you have a flat, firm abdomen, you will be in a much better position to decide on sizing of the implants in relation to your new, smaller midsection. Since you wrote in another post about whether a breast lift and augment should be combined, another possibility is to perform the lift first, without implant, then the tummy tuck, and finally decide whether you want/need implants.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Augmentation or Tummy Tuck

+2

Choosing to have a breast augmentation or tummy tuck first will be something that you as the patient should decide. I recommend to improve what you are more concerned about first and then later do the other. The tummy tuck is a more involved surgery and requires a longer recovery where as breast augmentation surgery tends to be quicker. Consult with your plastic surgeon and decide from there.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

It is your choice

+2

The order of procedures depends on which area you'd prefer to have improved first. It doesn't make much difference in terms of long-term aesthetics.

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS