Breast Augmentation, Tummy Tuck, and a Bit of Lipo Fears

I'm a very anxious person, (have a fear of dying since I was little), and am planning on going in for a mommy makeover and a bit of lipo in my thighs to even things out. Needless to say I am beyond terrified! I feel like I'm scheduling the day I'm going to die. I also have cystic breast disease and can feel a couple of cysts but have been told it won't be an issue. Is this correct? I have been in for my ultrasound and I'm a 26 year old, relatively healthy woman. Do I have much to fear?

Are Mommy Makeovers Safe?

+1

Being nervous before any operation is completely normal. However if it becomes incapacitating you may want to weigh your desire for surgery vs. your fears. That being said, the combination of procedures you are having is commonly performed and if you are a young healthy patient and have been medically cleared for surgery, everything has been done to reduce your risks. The key word is reduce. Every surgery has risks but if performed on properly selected patients those risks are very low.

One option I recommend to my patients after extensive procedures is to stay at an aftercare facility the night of surgery. Here they are looked after by a nurse and it also relieves the family of the stress of looking after the patient the night of surgery. It costs a bit more, but for some patients it is an ideal option.

As far as your fibrocystic breasts, this is not unusual in younger women and if the ultrasound is normal it should be safe to have breast augmentation.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Combination surgery in the properly selected patient is safe.

+1

If you are 26 years and healthy, the combination of operations you describe is commonly done and safe.  There are risks with even the simplest procedures but they are rare.  You have every reason to be nervous but shouldn't be panic stricken.  The odds are very much in your favor and a year from now you'll be wondering why you were so apprehensive.

Breast augmentation

+1

Fears are normal if one is going to have surgery under general anesthesia, especially when we hear mostly negative information in the media about plastic surgery.  The odds are more likely to die in a traffic accident than having surgery.  If you can not overcome the fear, then don't have surgery.  But plastic surgery is very safe.  When combining procedures, the risks do increase.  The risks of death are still very very low.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Severe anxiety prior to mommy makeover

+1

At 26, the odds are in your favor and you have very little to fear in my opinion. having said that, you still may experience severe anxiety in the moments before and shortly after your surgery. YOu may benefit form anxiolytics during this time and should discuss this with your surgeon and/or therapist.

Fear of Surgery

+1

Amanda,

Your concerns about surgery are normal and appreciated by your surgeon.  It means that you are fully aware that there are risks to every thing that we do, including crossing the street.  Although you are not scheduling crossing the street, you are making a conscious decision to do so at a certain time based on your assessment of the risk of doing so at that specific moment, i.e. looking both ways, checking the traffic light.  So, if you look both ways in choosing your surgeon and your surgical facility, you will minimize your risks of being struck by a car.  Be sure that your surgeon is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and that the facility is accredited and certified.  If this is the case, your risk of dying from surgery is probably about the same as your risk of dying while crossing the street.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Multiple procedures are safe

+1

It is normal to be nervous prior to undergoing surgery.  I would be more concerned with a patient who was not nervous or afraid.  This type of surgery is very safe and routine, especially for a young, healthy woman like you.  Just be sure to use a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon and make sure that it is being done in a certified surgical center/OR with a Board-Certified Anesthesiologist.

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Fear of Having Mommy Makeover Surgery

+1

Being nervous/afraid prior to undergoing surgery is very normal - I am always more concerned with patients who are not nervous or afraid.  I can assure you that the surgery is very safe and routine.  Just be sure to use a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon and make sure that it is being done in a certified surgical center/OR with a Board-Certified Anesthesiologist.  And just relax and think of how good you will look.  You will do great.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Risks of mommy makeover

+1

Surgery is a serious undertaking, and it is natural to be afraid.  It tells me that a patient takes the decision to have elective surgery very seriously.  There are real complicatoins and I need to know they have considered them.  Overall, being young and healthy, your risk is low.  Length of surgery should be taken into account as infection and blood clot risk increases with long procedures.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Mommy makeover

+1

A mommy makeover with a little thigh lipo is considered to be safe in a young patient such as  yourself, but remember you should be mentally ready for surgery, and should postpone if you are not.   

Daniel J. Casper, MD

Fear of surgery

+1

If you  are afraid to have surgery ( which by the way is normal) and you do not want to follow through with the surgery...then do not move forward with surgery.